xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlhaslip

Xamp / Php.ini Question How to use php files from non-htdocs folder

I recently installed the XAMP software as per snilildude's Tutorial and I have a question about the php.ini file or something like that.The Application is default installed. I haven't altered anything yet, so this should be a textbook case.Presently, the only folders recognized to run php scripts from is the htdoc folder (root). Is there a way to alter the configuration (or path or whaever) so if I double click a 'php' file that resides elsewhere, the file gets parsed and served as php in the browser. Would the Browser have to be open already when this is done, because that is part of the equation.Ideally, it would be best if : when I double-click a file anywhere on the system, it figures out that the Browser needs to be open, opens it if required, starts the server if required as well, and presents the page in the Browser. Am I asking for too much here?I don't know if that is possible or not, but I would at least like the php files to be loaded through the parser from elsewhere besides the htdocs folder. Whether I need to have the Server up and running can be my decision.XAMP on Windows 98se, php 5, haven't touched php configuration or .htaccess yet.

hey haslip i solve your problem right away delete xampp and get WampServer its alot more organized this then xampp believe me im using it right now thanks to mayank.

The only problem I had was configuring Apache to accept different local sites. Once I'd figured that out it was no problem. And really the reason you'd be using Apache is to understand more about how to configure it (otherwise you'd just install PHP and run it under IIS), so I wouldn't ditch XAMPP in favour of another install for that reason.

Tyssen, I'm running win98se and I don't have IIS, so that's why the Apache. Plus, it mimics the server at the trap, so if it works on this local machine, it'll be good at the Trap, too. ( I hope )