xisto Community
willywonker

Is My Computer Overheated? Please look at the information

My computer has a temputure sensor and showing 43 celcius is this to hot and i have a pentium 4. 2.40 GHz- My fan i running at a speed of 2949 RPM -

Notice from mayank:
Please make sure that the Topic title & description has to be descriptive
Edited by willywonker (see edit history)

It depends on what type of processor you have. For like a Pentium 3, the max temperature it can reach before you have a chance of burning it out is around 75 degrees celcius.

For my computer, I am running a 1ghz amd Thunderbird. It normally runs on my computer around 23-24 degrees celcius. A couple sources says I can run my cpu up to 90 degrees celcius though I doubt I would ever get it that high.

For basically all computers, 43 degrees celcius is around a normal running temp, especially for newer computers that heat up more.

For a little more info, and to find where your computer fits for highest cpu temperature you would want it to go.... check this site out:
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?t=maxtemp.shtml

Also, its not necessarily bad if it reaches these temperatures.... It's bad to constantly get these temps. When your computer gets up to its max temp, it starts to run slower... But if it does get to the point where your processor might get damaged, the computer won't let this happen. It will crash on you and give you error messages.

... it starts to run slower... ... It will crash on you and give you error messages.

Is Micro$oft making CPU's now, too?

My computer has a temputure sensor and showing 43 celcius is this to hot
- My fan i running at a speed of 2949 RPM -

Notice from mayank:
Please make sure that the Topic title & description has to be descriptive

This is cold my man ...
I used to run my seprom (AMD) on 70 celcius (beacuse my motherboard is not comaptible wiht the procesor) and it worked well ... I do not se why should it be a problem to run on 43 C .... thats cold man :huh:

My computer has a temputure sensor and showing 43 celcius is this to hot
and i have a pentium 4. 2.40 GHz

- My fan i running at a speed of 2949 RPM -

a pentium 4, running at 43C is not high at all. I'm an AMD guy, but knowing the heat output of Intel chips, that is actually pretty cool. If you're worried, replace the thermal pad/grease.

I have Intel Pentium 4, originaly running at 2.0GHz, and I clocked it, and it's running on 2.6GHz, and it's core temperature is 54 degrees Celsius, at 100% load... You are safe with your CPU temperature, you have much headroom for it to heat up... Intels have a good reputation of saving a CPU when it overheats... They lower the frequency, it's slows down, or, if the overheat is extreme, it will immediately shut down...In conclusion, you are very safe, and your CPU temperature is very good :huh:

No problem with the temperature of your CPU. Mine at the moment is running at around 53C. Most computers automatically shut down when they get too hot, to avoid damage to the chips.

You should not worry until you reach 80 ?C :huh:Just, to make sure you are safe, check your bios settings and make sure "turn on computer if temperature is above 60-65 C" option is on. Depending on the mother board, you might have an option to turn on "warnings" if temperature gets too hot. Turn "warnings" on at 60 C, and "shut down" at 75C and you should be fine.

Right now my CPU die temp is 47C, and the computer doesn't shutdown at die temp, but teh ABS temp is 51C. The computer is set to underclock at 70C (i think) and shutdown at 85C. It's an AMD, and I know AMD's get hotter, but 43 is very cool. By the time windows has loaded my computer is atlease 43C.

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2300+ running at 2.2Ghz

A few months back I noticed my CPU temp going up and up over the corse of about a month. I didnt think anything of it.

I only got scared when I noticed it had reached 90*C!! So I got my vacume cleaners and sucked every little piece of dust out, there was alot on the fan, I usually have the side of my case off for some unknown reason...

It is currently running at 66*C acording to Motherbard Monitor 5

your computer is frying when you smell smoke. if it's just "overheating" then your computer will just either freeze or shut down. 66C is pretty hot. you might want to get a custom fan/heatsink that works at higher RPM and is copper.

Here's a suggestion

http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=65

That one is for pentium4 socket 775

And a really cheap solution for socket 478.

http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=52

Lastly, for cheapest but highest risk, you can try to volt mod your cpu fan to go faster. My computer is running barely 70 degree Fahrenheit.

One last thing, get some airflow going through your computer case.

Don't be alarmed by this, the cpu is capable of running at like 150 degrees. Just cooler=better.

That is ok for a new processor anything under 50 degrees is awesome. the petiums are usually alot cooler than the amd's which will normally run at about 55 degrees but any new processor ( less than about 4 years old )can run at anything up to about 90 degrees so your chip will be fine but of course if you are running two identical processors and one is 15 to 20 degrees cooler, the one that is cooler run fast and more efficently. So if possible you should put a few more fans on your case to make the chip run cooler it will help the processor last longer and run a hell of a lot better. just remember you can never over cool a chip the cooler the better the only problem with more fans usaually means more noise so you will have to see how noisy you want your machine to be . Also just make sure that you machine is always clean from dust just blow it out with a compressor or something every two or three months as the dust builds up on the fans and stuff and they do not work as efficently as normal. And one other way to help cool your machine down without adding fans is just to open the case while using it this help keep a good flow of cool air to the processor to keep it alot cooler.