xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlhaslip

Installed Xampp, But ... there are a couple of problems with my Install.

Thanks to the tutorial here at the Xisto, I decided to install a copy of XAMPP on my Windows 98 Laptop so I could learn some more php coding without crashing the server on the Forum here. The Tutorial was good, it helped a lot, but there are two things which I need a hand with. Both problems might be Browser related, but I don't know, so here is the first problem:

First Problem

Opera can't find the Local server. I have a test file or two which run perfectly in the Firefox Browser, but if I Cut and Paste the address into the address bar of Opera 8, I get a file not found error. Even though the same URL was just viewed perfectly in FF. A sample URL would look some thing like :

http://localhost/testpages/testpage5.php

for a file located in the htdocs folder of XAMPP.

The complete local address is something like file://c:/apache/XAMPP/htdocs/testpages/testpage5.php.

***EDIT*** the OPERA 8 Browser requires that the brackets surround the file name in an Include Function. Even though Firefox doesn't??? for the same version of php???

That one is solved. Peculiar, but solved.

Second Problem

Internet Explorer can't seem to open the file because it can't find a specific file on the system. It is looking for a file named PMW.EXE for opening files of type 'Broderbund Easy Prints Type'. This machine may have had a piece of software on the Hard Drive by that name once upon a time. I can't say for sure. If that is the case, would the file type 'php' have been linked to that exe file somehow? But only for IE? Strange.

Anyway, What to do about that? Is there anyplace to assign the php file type to the XAMPP Software within the Internet Explorer software? Or how to disconnect the php file type from the PMW.EXE???

Thanks for your help on this one.

well i guess your second problem is more of a windows type thing. php files could be associated with pmw.exe and you might be doing the file:// instead of going through localhost to access the files. thats the only things i can think of. maybe it helped :huh:

Don't listen to anyone. Xampp is the best. Well i dont know about Opera so why dont you just use firefox? For your second problem. First off look is your apache and mysql is ON in Xampp. Then normally the default localhost testing folder of xampp is at \apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\xampp in this ROOT folder creat a folder fo r your work and save all your work in that folder so then when you want to view them just type in yur browser "localhost/xampp/"your folder"/index.php it's that easy and this way it works more effectivly.Hope this helps.