xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sm00nie

Encrypting Bittorrent To Take Out Traffic Shapers

I found this article the other day, which states that many ISP's are starting to adopt traffic shaping to limit their users from downloading and uploading anything from BT (or making it extremely slow to do so). In the article they point to Rogers, one of Canada's largest ISP's, which have lied about using it in the past. Shaw, and many providers in the UK have this traffic shaping feature as well, which ultimately makes anything very difficult to share.

https://torrentfreak.com/encrypting-bittorrent-to-take-out-traffic-shapers/

As a 3d animation enthusiasts I find that many of the animators supply their works through bt and it's a bit disconcerting to see that in the future they (and myself) may need to pay an extra fee in order to do so.

The article points to two bt programs that have come up with methods to bypass ISP traffic shipping, although not illegal and strictly within many ISP's Terms of Service, they may soon be deemed illegal in the near future. The more people who use the programs the faster you'll receive files, since they are still in beta users will not be prompted to upgrade just yet.. Until then you may not notice a fast upgrade in speed although many people are starting to in the Rogers community.

I should point out that the two bt programs listed can be stopped by the ISP in many ways such as limiting bt traffic, or in the extreme's reduce monthly bandwidth (can't imagine this being a solution).