xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zythrix

Gameserver Staff... ...

The following events led to the subsequent deletion of my hosting account ::

I'm a staff member of an Ultima Online free server (rather, I was). We had a Developer, we'll call her Nikki for lack of a better name. Nikki liked to cheat. She liked to cheat and harass players. She justified her actions saying "my scripts i can do what i want" (Actually I think the grammar was worse). Well, I caught her one day recently and informed her that she was in the wrong. Now, I'm what's called a Game Master on the server. I'm 1 step below Admin, 2 steps below Developer, Nikki is the Developer. She didn't believe I should be telling her she can't do something because she "will do what what she wants when she wants to whoever she wants" (except once again, my apologies. It was far more garbled than that but I refuse to retype her exact gibberish). Anyway, she saw right to ban my staff account. So that's 2 accounts she banned with no just cause in a 10 minute period. One a player's and the other a staff member's.

Tsk Tsk Nikki.

So, I spoke with the other 2 developers and the admins and they unbanned both of the accts and said they were going to get rid of Nikki. One of them, we'll call him Dymonic, said he had some plan to catch her doing something.. and then he was going to ban her. In the meantime, she banned my account again (I had it unbanned) and re-banned the player's acct as well. Once again her justification was that they were her scripts etc etc.

So, knowing completely that the woman was going ban-happy on people and cheating and trying to ruin the server (I have a screenshot of her saying "I don't care I don't give a <expletive deleted> about this server anyway").... the Admins still kept her. And subsequently.. she fired me... the last thing holding the server together.

So, I deleted the website (that I also built and they wanted to take.. but that's a story for another time).

So, all-in-all, great service from Xisto! I may have to re-register and get some hosting for myself, but I cancelled this hosting account.

Never work with questionable people. This "Nikki" (that's her actual name with the server) is the friend of a previous Admin to this same server that paid for the gameserver hosting with STOLEN credit cards. Hmm..

Anyway, if you come across an Ultima Online freeserver with any of the following::

-Named The Myth
-irc channel is #themyth on irc.gamesurge.net
-any ties to gameslider.com
-or has a staff member by the name of Dymonic, Hardox, Nikki or VoodooVane..

Stay away from it.

[note: as a gesture of courtesy, I'm to inform you that Dymonic, Hardox and Nikki weren't a part of the credit card ordeal..]

Edited by TheMythShard (see edit history)

I guess it's time to move over to a new game. One that has developers who care about it's community and take cheating very seriously. And also one that doesn't use illegal methods to fund itself.

It's not the game that's the issue.. just those particular staff members.It's ok.. I'm working on my own servers =)

That is really dumb. I do not see why the people who ran the server even let this person ban your account and keep her. If she just did it once that is ok but then if she goes and do it again and they keep her but not you that is really dumb. If I were the person above her I would have banned her IP from even accessing your server. Some people you come in contact with are just plain annoying.

Ya, there are an awful lot of stupid people. Since I left the server there has been 2-3 more instances of abuse of staff-power.. and they still do nothing about it. Oh well, that's why I left it.. not my problem anymore =)

I guess I get what you mean, I administrate Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory servers for different clans (including my own) and admin abuse is a pretty popular topic nowadays, with a lot of visitors every day (About 1000, which is less than a mmorpg but a pretty nice ammount for a First Person Shooter game) trouble WILL arise, because of all the different nationality's and stuff, and when the problems arise the server admins are the ones responsible for fixing them.It's a pretty mad war, you have friends in your clan, people from other clans and just visitors, but you don't want to get in a fight with anyone, and often you will make dissisions which are in the favor of one, but negative for the others... Adn then you also have the cheating accusations from time to time, causing trouble not just between people but also between clans :huh:

Ya.. I guess I just never understood what drove people to abuse priviledges given to them with responsibilities. I waited a long time to become staff on a gameserver and I've never had the thought to cheat or abuse my powers once. Some people are just dishonest I guess =/