xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Thorned Rose

Climate Change New research on global warming

Global Warming  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I was watching the replies from my last post in this thread I remembered a line from a movie that I think describes the way menkind is. Most of you have seen Matrix... Do you remember the first Matrix movie, when Agent Smith said that menkind is a virus because of the way it acts. It finds a place, deplets its resources and moves one to another one just to do the same all over again. That is the pattern of a virus and as it seems menkind acts that way. With one big difference - we have nowhere to move one, at least until we can settle down on other planets. And yes... regarding this topic I am very pessimistic :lol:

Its for real., but scientists and especially Americans are making hype about it. The earth is undergoing a cyclic heating-cooling cycle, as in past. The earth still remains in the interglaciation cycle. In around 1770 Tames river of UK froze completely. Few years around there were extreme clold. Scientists beleive if man had not warmed the atmosphere with greenhouse gases, we could had been on verge of another Ice age. But, its for certain that Earth's atmosphere has accumulated much CO2 and green house gases. Which continues to heat the atmosphere, soil and oceans.Every degree rise in soil temperature, produces more favorable condition for soil microbial growth. it further releases fixed soil carbon by respiration, further adding to atmospheric CO2.So the process is interlinked. Arctic Ice belt had melted to maximum level last year. which shows the effect. But it is more of a danger from developed nation like US, which continues to produce maximum CO2, rather thann small industrial country as India. At one place, US wants asian countries to follow Kyoto protocol and in the other, wants to refrain itself, in the wake of higher production costs. As I said, the condition is totally reversible. provided, humanr restrict themselves producing more CO2 NOW.I guess I can be a good science correspondent if someone corrects my grammar :lol:

But it is more of a danger from developed nation like US, which continues to produce maximum CO2, rather thann small industrial country as India.

That's not true actually. The highest producer might be the U.S. but China is second and India was 4th in 2002 and given their huge growth rate in the last few years may well now rank 3rd. Russia, Japan, Germany and the UK all rank highly as does countries like Canada, Italy, France and Australia - none of which you would think of as being particularly high contributers. So it's not just the U.S. causing the problems, but I do have to agree that they are extremely hypocritical with regards to the Kyoto project or perhaps I should say that George Bush is the hypocrite considering that Bill Clinton did actually sign the Kyoto Project - Bush and his administration never ratified it. John Howard (Australian prime minister) did exactly the same but then he is the eternal U.S Kiss-Ar**.Realistically speaking if you want an accurate and fair representation of the biggest problem causers then your need to look at emmissions per capita in which case the U.S. is 7th. Qatar is by far the worst along with Netherlands Antilles, Bahrain, Kuwait, UAE, Aruba, Trinidad and Tobago, Brunei, Canada, Australia, Saudi Arabia etc. If you look at this countries you might notice that not surprisingly many of them are oil producing countries. If you drive a car, not are you contributing to polution in your own country but you are contributing to other countries. For example, the biggest producers have caused an ozone hole over Antartica and New Zealand. I live in New Zealand and we have one of the highest Melanoma (skin cancer) rates in the world. You can't go outside for more than 10 minutes in the summer without getting burnt unless you slather on sunscreen. Do we receive any compensation from countries like the U.S. and China? Nup - and that's just one more thing that makes me angry. Just the selfishness of the whole thing.

I voted for the first option although I am more leaning towards the second option. To be honest, I can't be sure if Global Warming is real. Just like I can't really be sure if anything is real. But it seems to explain a lot.