xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
amitojduggal

What Is A Lochness Monster? Monster of Lochness river

Well i always have been wondering about this creature, I saw many documentries on discovery channel and also read about it in the news papers, but it is still not clear if there is a monster there or it is just a hoax. there have been many attempts to know the truth, many people have taken false photograhs, and they now admit that fact. and also there are videos that prove theere is a monstera in lochness river of Scotland. But that video is also been ruled out as a hoax, And years latter a professor took a photograph of that monster, that photograph provies a much better evidence of any monster existence. They took videos using Sonar, radar etc, and the evidence is powerfull but not satisfying since it could be anything. i want to collect that videos people took of lochness, Please someone plaese give me some links to it.

Here you go, here's some links.

http://www.loch-ness.info/
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://maxpages.com/roswell47/Loch_Ness_Monster_Gallery
http://www.scotsman.com/news/new-nessie-pictures-spark-debate-1-1376577
http://www.crystalinks.com/loch_ness.html

I'm not sure if I believe in Nessie or not. I don't think there's ever been enough evidence to prove she exists. But I kind of like the idea of Nessie, and would like to think that she does. I don't know if a plesiosaur could still be around after all this time, let alone a breeding colony of them. But the monstrous kraken (giant and huge squids) were always just a legend until recently, when science has proved they do exist.

It's a fact we haven't explored very much of the ocean's depths, and anything could be down there. If there was a way (like an underground river) for deep water creatures to get into Loch ness, then Nessie could exist. Salmon are spawned and hatch in fresh water, and later acquire the ability to live in salt water, then swim downriver to the ocean. They spend the rest of their life in the ocean until they go back up the river the were born in to spawn and die.

Maybe Nessies go to Loch Ness to lay eggs deep underwater and then return to the ocean. If there are only a few of them, and they only go there to lay eggs at the bottom of the lake, it would explain why it's so hard to find one with submarines and sonar. A sick Nessie probably wouldn't feel like reproducing, which would explain why no dead ones ever wash up on the lake's shore.

I don't think it's impossible for Nessies to exist. Remember, the coelacanth was thought to be extinct for around 70 million years, until a fisherman caught a live one in the Indian Ocean!

See Tony Harmsworth's Loch Ness Information Website at

http://www.loch-ness.org/

Best picture from this site and some information:

Posted Image

Mankind has always had an interest in a good mystery. The monster, sea serpent, kraken and other mythological creatures have formed a part of folklore since the beginning of time. Around the world there are reputed to be sea serpents or monsters in many bodies of fresh water. Nessie in Loch Ness, Morag in Loch Morar, Shielagh in Loch Shiel, Lizzy in Loch Lochy, Champ in Lake Champlain, Ogopogo in Lake Okanagan and, would you believe, Wally in Lake Wallowa to mention but a few.

While research has been conducted at many of these lakes, Loch Ness is the icon for monsters and Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster is, without doubt the granddaddy of them all. It is to Loch Ness where myriad researchers, professional and amateur, from all walks of life, have flocked with their cameras and sonars, hopes, fears and aspirations to solve the greatest mystery on Earth. Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster.

Loch Ness investigations have included lures, fish baits, exploding light bulbs, submarines, scanning sonars, echo sounders, telephoto cameras, underwater cameras with strobe flashes, movie cameras, video and, now, digital cameras too.

The history of the search at Loch Ness gives us clues to all of the other lake monsters too. It should be appreciated, however, that there are many red herrings among the evidence and numerous false trails have been followed.

On this Loch Ness Information site I have tried to lay out much of the Loch Ness evidence as we know it today. I have been the most active commentator on the happenings at Loch Ness for more than twenty years and want the Loch Ness Information Site to become a comprehensive information resource on the Loch Ness area and, of course, the Loch Ness phenomenon. It is not a refuge for "nutters" and the fanatical will find little to please them within these pages. Those with a genuine interest in the Loch Ness mystery, however, will find these pages fascinating.

Loch Ness had not been my main living since I left the Official Loch Ness Centre in 1990. I have to produce this site in my spare time, therefore, and there will be a number of gaps in these pages for some time.

I have tried to present Loch Ness sightings, Loch Ness photographs, Loch Ness films, Loch Ness sonar charts and everything in these pages honestly and fairly. Unlike other commentators on the Loch Ness Monster, some of whom should know better, I have not been afraid to take poor researchers to task and tell the truth about their activities. If you believe anything I have said is inaccurate or incorrect I would be delighted to hear from you and will certainly spend time investigating your views or criticisms if that is warranted. I would ask, however, that criticism is accompanied by references to accurate information so that I do not have to waste time tracking material down.

I want this Loch Ness Information Site to be the most accurate on the web and will be delighted to make changes, additions or correct omissions when necessary.

If you find the pages of value I would ask you to pay a visit to the on-line shops advertised on some of the pages. It is from these that much of my income is derived and you will certainly find products you would like. Most can be delivered anywhere in the world ... many are carriage free.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Warning issued for plagiarizing. Pleaced quotes and reduced credits.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of Documentaries on Discovery Channel myself, but I think Nessie's not real. Well, I have my reasons...1. If... say, there's only one Loch Ness Monster existing... Don't you think it's strange that she's (apparently) still existing over these years? Isn't it a strange lifespan? Or it's just being kept alive by hoaxes...2. If there are male and female Loch Ness Monsters, they would probably breed. Sure, they're supposedly elusive, but if they DID breed, I don't think it's gonna be hard to spot one of their offspring.If they Nessie did exist... Someone must've seen the last of her a long time ago, but didn't document it, sparking a series of hoaxes and other "sightings". If she did exist, she must've died and left nothing to replace her. It's a pretty interesting and controversial topic after all... I'd love to delve into it further, human nature kicks in...Of course, I can always be wrong, but I long to see the day where hard evidence of Nessie's existance is revealed. It'll probably when we have really advanced technology.

Edited by icemarle (see edit history)

Here you go. I have written a job for school about it... So, it`s from wikipeadia.org.

Ancient

Rumours of a monster or animal living in the loch are claimed by believers to have been known for several centuries, though others have questioned the accuracy or relevance of such tales, which were generally unheard of before the 1960s, when a strong wave of interest in legitimizing Nessie's 1930s-based history began.

The earliest claimed reference is taken from the Life of St. Columba by Adamnan. It describes how in 565 Columba saved the life of a Pict, who was being supposedly attacked by the monster. Adamnan describes the event as follows: "...(He) raised his holy hand, while all the rest, brethren as well as strangers, were stupefied with terror, and, invoking the name of God, formed the saving sign of the cross in the air, and commanded the ferocious monster, saying, "Thou shalt go no further, nor touch the man; go back with all speed." Then at the voice of the saint, the monster was terrified, and fled more quickly than if it had been pulled back with ropes, though it had just got so near to Lugne, as he swam, that there was not more than the length of a spear-staff between the man and the beast. Then the brethren seeing that the monster had gone back, and that their comrade Lugne returned to them in the boat safe and sound, were struck with admiration, and gave glory to God in the blessed man. And even the barbarous heathens, who were present, were forced by the greatness of this miracle, which they themselves had seen, to magnify the God of the Christians". [1]

Critics have questioned the reliability of the Life, noting a different story in which Columba slays a wild boar by the power of his voice alone 1. They also point out that the event is said to have occurred on the River Ness, not in the Loch, and that Adamnan reports Columba encountering and conquering assorted "monsters", at various places in Scotland, throughout his "life". Additionally, they point out that the Loch Ness monster has no other reported instance of attacking anyone, and in fact is generally portrayed as shy.

Recent and principal sightings

The first recorded modern sighting occurred on May 2, 1933. The newspaper Inverness Courier carried a story of Mr. and Mrs. John Mackay, who reportedly saw "an enormous animal rolling and plunging on the surface." The report of the "monster" (a word chosen by the editor of the Courier) became a media sensation with London papers sending reporters to Scotland, and a circus even offering a reward of ?20,000 for capture of the monster. It was at this point that the belief in a monster-inhabited Loch Ness first began to take form.

Further preoccupation with the Loch Ness Monster was aroused by a photograph allegedly taken by surgeon R.K. Wilson on April 1 (All Fool's Day), 1934, which seemed to show a large creature with a long neck and head lifted above the water. Decades later, on March 12, 1994, Christian Spurling claimed to have faked the photo after being hired by the Daily Mail to track down Nessie (the photo had by that time been printed worldwide as "absolute evidence"). Spurling also stated that Wilson did not take the photo, and his name was only used to give added credibility to the photo. The most recent activity was in 1997 when a group of school children reportedly saw the monster swimming across the lake.

Regardless of whether anything is actually in the loch, the Loch Ness Monster has some "mythological significance" to the people of the town.

Theories

Most accounts of Nessie's appearance, including historical ones, indicate a creature resembling the long-extinct plesiosaur. Actual fossil evidence for this Mesozoic creature shows it to have been physically large, with a long neck and tiny head, with flippers for propulsion. The alleged connection of this creature with the Loch Ness monster has made it a popular topic in the field of cryptozoology. However, most scientists suggest the idea that the Loch Ness Monster is a remnant of the Mesozoic era is highly unlikely; there would need to be a breeding colony of such creatures for there to have been any long-term survival, and coupled with the fact that plesiosaurs needed to surface to breathe, this would result in far more frequent sightings than have actually been reported (though some animals, such as crocodiles, that need to breathe air intermittently, can stay underwater for extended periods of time by remaining still and conserving their oxygen supply). Many biologists also argue Loch Ness is not large or productive enough to support even a small family of these creatures. Moreover, the loch was created as the result of geologically recent glaciation and was frozen solid during recent ice-ages.

Other sightings, however, do not fit the plesiosaur description or even a water-bound creature: In April 1923, Alfred Cruickshank claimed to have seen a creature 3 m to 3.5 m long, with an arched back and four elephant-like feet cross the road before him as he was driving. Other sightings report creatures more similar to camels or horses.[2]

Theories as to the exact nature of the Loch Ness Monster sightings are varied: pareidolia or misidentification of seals, fish, logs, mirages, seiches, and light distortion, crossing of boat wakes, or unusual wave patterns. Very large sturgeon have been found in inland streams close to Loch Ness, and due to the sturgeon's size and unusual appearance, one could easily be mistaken for a monster by someone not familiar with it. A recent theory postulates that the "monster" is actually nothing more than bubbling and disruptions in the water caused by minor volcanic activity at the bottom of the loch. This latter argument is supported to a minor degree by a correlation between tectonic motion and reported sightings.

Paranormal theories

Some researchers, notably John Keel, F.W. Holiday, and Erik Beckjord, postulate that there are no unknown physical creatures within the loch. Because of the absence of physical evidence, these researchers argue that many of the reported sightings can be attributed to hoaxes or misidentification of conventional creatures and objects. However, they also argue that a residue of reported Loch sightings could be paranormal, or supernatural in nature, i.e., having a temporal semi-transparent construction, similar to other anomalous phenomena such as Apparitions, Bigfoot, and UFOs.

Other researchers claim that amorphous images of the Loch Ness Monster have been caught on film. For example, in 1983, a small team from the Nessie Research Project took 83 seconds of 16mm colour film of a white, ten foot long, amorphous, shape-shifting creature that had strange heads on its back, matching in many respects the equally strange 1967 35mm b/w Raynor Film, taken by resident *BLEEP* Raynor, formerly of the Loch Ness Investigation Project (now defunct). The 1983 film was shown to the 1987 International Society of Cryptozoology convention in Edinburgh, at the Royal Museum, where co-chair Dr. Jack Gibson declared it to be the "Best Nessie video he had ever seen".[3]

The NRP team went to Loch Ness that summer, and with the assistance of psychic Alex Crosbie, obtained eight still photos, (7 in 35mm, 1 in 110) of a 48 foot long flexible telephone pole-like object, with a "shield-shaped head" (Dr Bruce Maccabee, film analyst). The photos showed the creature interacting with several yachts, moving to avoid them.

Evidence for

The rhomboid fin photographSome have argued a history of "monster" sightings in the loch provides circumstantial evidence supporting the creature's existence. Note that the validity and origins of these stories have been challenged, along with any "history" predating the early 1930s.

In the early 1970s, a group led by American patent lawyer Dr. Robert Rines obtained some underwater photographs. One was a vague image, perhaps of a rhomboid flipper (others have argued the object could be air bubbles or a fish fin). On the basis of this photograph, Sir Peter Scott, one of Britain's best-known naturalists, announced in 1975 that the scientific name of the monster would henceforth be Nessiteras rhombopteryx1 (Greek for "The Ness monster with diamond-shaped fin). This would enable Nessie to be added to a British register of officially protected wildlife (but compare [4]). It has been noted by London newspapers that Nessiteras rhombopteryx is an anagram of "monster hoax by Sir Peter S." Monster-hunter Dr. Robert Rines replied that the letters could also be rearranged to spell "Yes, both pix are monsters--R."

The underwater photos were reportedly obtained by painstakingly scouring the loch's depths with sonar, over the course of days, for unusual underwater activity. An underwater camera with an affixed, high-powered light (necessary for penetrating Loch Ness' famed murk) was then deployed to record images from below the surface. Several of the resulting photographs, despite their obviously murky quality, did indeed seem to show an animal quite resembling a plesiosaur in various positions and lightings. A few close-ups of what is alleged to be the creature's diamond-shaped fin were also taken, in different positions, indicating movement.

The strongest evidence that Nessies are real animals is summarized at http://henryhbauer.homestead.com/lochnessfacts.html: the Dinsdale 16mm film of 1960, which has also been criticized as having an interpretation that has been greatly expanded from the original JARIC

i think perosnnaly its a whole load of nonsense...i mean who really believes theres like a big snake thing swimming around in there lol..Ive seen some documentaries on it and in one they actually used radar of something to scan every part and cave of the lake and they found nothing so I dont relaly believe in nessy....

Im not sure if i belive it or not. I've seen programs trying to find it but have beeen unsucsesfull. I'd like to go there myself one time. Theres quite alot of evidence but they're probably hoaxs. I would be cool if they found it though

ive never been to loch ness..but one day i will go up with camera's etc :huh:..find the beast lol and run away....lolnah i really doubt there is a monster at the bottom of a loch..pepople go there everyday waiting for hours for it to appear for them but it never seems to show ;)

You now, there is one more legend about it... That just a wood, big wood, and when watter level changes it swims up and down..That`s very nice for Scotland... A lot of money:)!

I'm sorry for my last plagiarizm...

I found facts about expeditions at Lohness river (lake).

This quoted sentenses I quote from http://www.scotland-calling.com/loch-ness-monster.htm

Monster legend

Said to have started with an account of Saint Columba, in 565 A.D rescuing a swimmer from a lake creature. From then on stories of such a creature emerged periodically, but little is actually recorded until the 20th century

It was only after1933, when a new road was built along the lake shore and people were first able to visit the area in large numbers, that reports of sightings really took off

Mackay's and Campbell 1933

The MacKays owned a pub at Drumnadrochit, and on April 14th saw an "enormous animal" in the Loch. They told the man responsible for controlling salmon fishing in the Loch, a Alex Campbell. Campbell, because of his job spent a lot of time observing the Loch, and he saw Nessie a number of times.

Campbell put it at 30 feet long and described it as having "a long, tapering neck, about 6 feet long, and a smallish head with a serpentine look about it, and a huge hump behind..."

Seen on land 1934

Arthur Grant, a veterinary student, saw the thing crossing the road as he rode along on his motorbike. His decryption matched that of a Plesiosaurus - small head, long neck, big body with flippers and a tail. The Plesiosaurus, a relative of the dinosaur, has been thought to be extinct for some 65 million years.

On moving film in 1960

An indistinct moving picture was taken by an an aeronautical engineer, Tim Dinsdale in 1960. The film may not have convinced the world, but Dinsdale gave up his job, and spent the next twenty years trying to prove they existed. He saw it twice more, but never got the photographic proof

Sonar Sweeps in 1970

The American Academy of Applied Science, funded a search by Dr Robert Rines, using sonar and automatic cameras. In 1972 one of their cameras photographed, in the murk, what appeared to be a flipper about 6 feet long on just four frames of film.

Various sonar contacts followed, but it was not until 1975 that they got a vague, very blurred image of what might possibly have been the face

Submarines

In more recent years mini submarines have tried to find Nessie, without success In 1987, 20 cruisers methodically swept the Loch with sonar equipment bouncing sound waves from the surface down to the bottom and electronically recording any contacts. Many salmon were found, but no Nessie.

I think that Lohness Monster is only legend!...

this is crap!!

What Is A Lochness Monster?

The lochness monster is not real today. Yes it might have been in the past around 1933 but no one has really seen clear sightings of the lochness monster after that time frame. It could have been an elephant back then and the elephant could have died. There is no proof that the lochness monster is real today!

-reply by Aleece