xisto Community
abdalla agamy

Is There A Free Graphics Program I Could Download?

I'll be honest--I have absolutely NO experience with graphics or the programs associated with making them. I was wondering if there was a program that was free for downloading that I could use to make better looking things than bitmap images in Paint. I've seen some of the tutorials which show the use of filters and other tools which I don't think actually exist in paint, and I think that if there was a open source or freeware program out there, I'd like to know about it so I could give it a shot.Such a program may have been mentioned already in one of the other threads, but I assure you I'm currently unaware of it.

Irfanview is the best image viewer out there, and it's free. It opens as soon as you click on the icon or image. You can do various things with it to your images too, like convert colors, do gamma correction, resize, optimize file size, convert formats, etc. You can even use Photoshop filters with it. Since it's simple, it doesn't take long to learn to use. You should get it no matter what other graphics programs you get to use as an image viewer.For just adding some text on top of a picture, I like XNView the best. It's quick and easy to pick whatever font you have and add your name or a caption to an image. Just save the image with Irfanview afterwards to optimize the file size.For a free simple Paint-like program that just does some more basic stuff, ImageForge is good. It doesn't take long to learn how to use either. The same company also makes IconForge, which is nice for making your own icons. Also free and easy to use.When you're ready to really get into some more advanced stuff, the Gimp is the best, it uses Photoshop filters, too. Those are the ones I mostly use.