xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
beeseven

Google Working On Own Distribution Of Linux

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It is/will be a version of Ubuntu, and it is currently being referred to as "Goobuntu." Google has confirmed that they're doing this, but not why or what it will be used for. There has been speculation- some people say it'll just be for the Google employees, others think that it's to compete with Windows. Personally, I hope that it's to compete with Windows.

i wouldn't say it would be set to compete with windows, maybe it will be a live-cd with a whole bunch of google tools (a gmail interface, google talk, earth, etc.) pre-loaded, that way its something that is easy to use (something any widely released software needs to be). I must say tho, that doing something like this could show the genral public how easy to use linux can be, and that in turn could spell competition for microsoft....

Google has no plans of releasing this OS for public. Google says it will be used only inside the google complex. And because of this there is no chanse for this OS to compete with Microsoft. And yes Ubuntu can be a major threat for Windows because its free and it even ships for free and many users have completely switched to using Ubuntu.

i dont like ubuntu, i dont know why. If google is making that for his employers... why dont they use " harder " or more complicated linux ? like slackware or some others... ubuntu is too user friendly for google staff.

I welcome this definitely welcome this move of Google. However, I don't want to see any dominion of a single company in any business, that is when they usually become insensitive to end users. It is much better to have a very competitive market so that everyone will try to please the customers to remain loyal to them. If Google is so successful with this move, Microsoft will also try to improve its services and who knows if Windows become more cheaper? That will be a good, welcome move too.