xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kevlar557

I'm Looking To Buy A Router And Print Server But I dont know what kind to buy...

I'm finally getting broadband internet at my house after 5 years :rolleyes: . I need to set up a network, but I don't know what kind of router/switch to buy. I'm going to have a network printer, satellite dish, and 2 computers hooked up to it. Any ideas what kind to buy?Also, I need a print server for a HP DeskJet 940. I have no clue where to start on looking. Anyone have a good one, and would like to share what kind it is?

In my personal experience, it doesn't matter which brand name product you go with. It's because these days, they all work just about the same. If I had a choice, however, I would pick Linksys. Linksys's router control panel offers more refined control over security and home networking settings. But the three major brand names I would go with are: Linksys, D-link and Netgear (not in particular order) for their price and functionality.

As far as print server goes, here is where you drop the whop load of cash. HP 940 is both USB and parallel, as I recall. Print servers are usually expensive when you purchase it to link more than 10 or more computers. But, when it's between two computers I'd recommend http://www.netgear.com/products/consumer/per_wired_hm.php PS101 for parallel (CompUSA sales price $9.99 after rebates). I'm recommending parallel only because the print server price is cheap. You can choose USB but prices these days are $50 or higher. Here is D-Link's printserver http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ As you can see, these are just plain stand alone printserver without the traditional bulky router sized frame. Which is awesome when you have 1 printer to share. Linksys has printserver but they charge at least $80 and up.

For USB printserver, Netgear's PS121 at $40.

Of course, you didn't specify you were planning wired or wireless network system. Wired network system is usually the most inexpensive way to go. But you have to fish cables around your location.

yea, I guess I kind of forgot to include that little snippit of information. I'm going to plan on running CAT6(gigabit). Yea, it's going to be fun in a cement block house. Oops, I forgot one thing. The router/switch needs to be about a 6 or 8 port.

I have a good experience with Dlink routers as well as their hub so you might want to consider that too, one more brand which I don't know if it's available on your country is zyxel, they are pretty sturdy and most known brands of network products are being outsourced by them.

Linksys router would do for you. Its a plug and play device. But you have to add printer from your PC using "Add Printer" Wizard.

-reply by Globus Micro