xisto Community
illdevilinc

Sharing The Files With Proffesional I got the cable

Hey i got the cable to connect the computers. There connected now but now i need to find out how to share files from windows XP proffessional with Home edition. The connection shows as shared but when i try to click the home computer(proffessional) it says that i dont have permission to access it. I am an administrater of both computers and need to figure out how to connect them both together. And also i would like to know how to share the wireless connection from my laptop with my home computer. If someone could give me a link or instructions on how to do it i would appreciate it. And thanks to all that helped with the crosscable situation. P.S. sorry about asking so many questions. Im a moron and dont know anything about networking.Thanks

frist make sure you enabled file sharing in your wireless ethernet properites. . Then make sure that both computers in your network have the same ip and sub ip.. for example. 192.168.0.1 and sub ip is 255.255.255.0you could check your ip's by going to run (start menu) and type in cmd and click ok.. a black screen pops up... type in ipconfig and it should give you all the ip 's of your computer (including your internet ip).if both of the ip's are the same but you still get the same problem.. make sure you config yoru router correct (probably firewall is turned on). And if you have a norton anti virus or nortorn internet security or any other firewall software you might have running.. .you might want to disable them or config them to make it work.if you think the got everything correctly.. then you might want to just rebooth your router or whatever you are using... by unplugging the power cable and plug it back in.

This may sound weird but here is what I've done to make it possible for Professional and Home version to share files.

With the Home Edition

Just go to your any folder you'd like to share and enable sharing. Simple enough

With the Professional Edition

When you access My Network Places, you'll notice that you can't see your own folder that you marked for sharing. If this is true here's how I circumvented. Since it's just between intranetwork, I first marked which folder(s) I was going to share. I then enabled sharing to the entire hard drive that the folder belonged, i.e. C: drive. I know, it's hard to believe. Once it was complete with the permission changes I was able to see the sharing only folders using My Network Places from Professional Edition. And also from Home Edition computer.

P.S. sorry about asking so many questions.

225863[/snapback]

You do not need to apologize. That's what this forum is all about, isn't it--asking questions? :rolleyes: