xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
joeysicily

Trap17 Problems (down) Trap17 Problems (down)

Has anyone noticed that Xisto.com seems to be down a lot or not enough bandwidth? I was just posting a long comment in anther section and clicked post.. well guess what it said host not found.. then i hit back and my WHOLE post was gone. Not even my credits went up. There have numerous times I tried to access Xisto and get host not found. Whats the deal with this place. You need to increase your bandwidth. This has become unreliable and I'm ready to start looking elsewhere unless the problem can be correctedAnyone else see the same problems?

There are several reasons why "Host/Server" not found errors appear, including a server at either end being faulty or improperly configured or maybe some maintenance being done. I know that locally, they swapped a new server in December and it caused mess-ups to no end for the local users. Also, Xisto has recently transferred to a new server. And they are preparing to Upgrade the Forum, so maybe any of these issues are to blame. Who knows. Trap's reliability and up-time is pretty darned good for my requirements.I'm moving this topic out of Xisto dot NET, since you mentioned that it is Xisto dot COM you are having trouble with.

Well, it could also be your ISP. I have dial-up, and even when I'm NOT disconnected, I get that message sometimes. I find that it happens when there is slow communication between my computer and my ISP. It could be other problems as well, though. However, I'm not really noticing it that much. Also, when it says it for me, it does it for other sites. When it says that the server couldn't be found, did you try some other website for the same message?

Well, it could also be your ISP.  I have dial-up, and even when I'm NOT disconnected, I get that message sometimes.  I find that it happens when there is slow communication between my computer and my ISP.  It could be other problems as well, though.  However, I'm not really noticing it that much.  Also, when it says it for me, it does it for other sites.  When it says that the server couldn't be found, did you try some other website for the same message?

225807[/snapback]

I have similar problems under the same circumstances. We don't have fiberoptics yet and that creates phone line problems. The older lines are what you call "dirty" with static etc.

To keep from having to type everything over again, I usually highlight and copy what I have written so if the post disappears I can paste it in when I start over.

Just a reminder that it is a myth when people say Xisto is down also implies that hosting service is down. Xisto forum and Xisto hosting are served by two totally different computer machines. You can check this by use PING command and enter http://forums.xisto.com/. You will see that the returned IP address is different from your hosting IP address.Once our forum upgrades to the latest Invision version, you will not see Page Cannot Be Displayed message. OpaQue has been hard at work to bring us the very best forum possible. He is finishing up the last minute details for upgrades. The next forum version is going to knock your socks off :rolleyes:

Yes, Like BuffaloHELP said the trap seventeen host and host of our sites (members' web sites) are different and when the former is down the later may not be down at all. I have not experienced this problem atleast recently. What we must not forget is most host sites on the internet go down at time, even paid hosting sites. However, the downtime will be informed to the members in advance in some cases, which will be due to technical reasons. The other case is that it went down due to virus attack which is totally unprecendented. But most of the time they back up everything so, it could be up anytime. It shouldn't take too much time in returning to normalcy. Another possibility is if your internet connection is too slow. Forums specially use database and database driven sites are supposed to be a little bit slower than static pages. Therefore, the best way to avoid your posting not being posted is to copy (Ctrl+C) the entire post before you click OK or POST button. I used to do like this most of the time, because the server may face problem or my internet connection might have not face any unprecendented problem. That way one can be saved from the danger of losing the precious post which can generate a good amount of credits.

Well, when I meant Xisto.com, I meant sometime the forums or even my own website http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ has been down. There has been a few times after writing a lenghty post and then finally clicking post it comes back with page not found. I click back and BANG all my information that I typed Disappeared. That really pissed me off. After spending that much time in writing a good post. Other times I seen it down was on my website that I created. For instance I was working with frontpage and I do a save and again it says page not found and I have to keep clicking retry until finally it finds it and saves the information. It is becoming painfull. Now I just hope that with new servers that it will finally be up with not that many down time or lag. Hey if your interested in checking out my website go right ahead :-) http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Thanks for listening