xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

How To Backup Windows Xp Automatic Update. Win XP Admins and Powerusers please help

I am regularling updating my Windows XP SP2 System with automatic updates. I want to make a backup of all the updates that I've so far downloaded. So lease kindly help me where to find those updates in my system or how to make a bacup of the downloaded updates.

As far as I am aware, the updates edit files and the registry, which makes things quite hard to back up. The easiest way is to simply have a mirror hard drive, so if one is damaged physically, it will not affect the data on the other. If you are worried about editing them or deleting them then set up a partition with a clean copy of Windows on it, but with the updates on it, then just don't touch it until you need it.

There is a way to avoid downloading all the updates again but you need to install them manually.

On the Windows Update screen click Personalise Windows Update.

Check the box to display the catalog and save the settings.

Open the catalog by clicking the new link.

Click the link to find the updates for your OS (Windows XP).

Put all the updates into your download basket.

Select the download location you want and click download.

You should then have a selection of executables you can run to install updates. These can be backed up to CDs, another hard drive, pen drive or anything.

Notice from jlhaslip:
Fixed bbcode on list
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Actually the Automatic Update Feature must store the Downloaded files somewhere in the system before Installing. So please tell me where these downloaded updates are stored.

I think they are stored in a temporary directory, then run, and then deleted. This is meant to save space on your hard drive, especially for older computers. Unless you have set your system to never clear any temporary files then you won't be able to find them.

Please tell me how to set your system to never clear any temporary files . I've found a lot of update*.exe files in Windows Folder are they the downloaded updates.