xisto Community
Tenshigami

"labels" I hate them

When I was in middle school I was a combination of "Outcast"/ "Nerd". If there was a label put on me now, I wouldn't even know what to call myself because I don't fit into any catagory now. I'm so glad I'm in college so I don't have to deal with this as much as I did. :)

Hee hee, you were a Outcast / Nerd too lol :(

Anyway, I've noticed that the labeling thing does seem to happen a lot more during high school then any other place that I've been. It was pretty bad back then, and not fun at all. I personally hate labels myself, but still, when I see the stereotypical geek, or jock, or whatever, I still view them as one. I suppose it's what society has engrained into me. I don't think any less of any of them, and wouldn't let it stop me from getting to know the people, or treating them nice, but still in the back of my mind, the thought is there.

By the time I got to college, though the "labels" were still there in principal (I could tell who were the nerds, and who were the social butterflies, etc.) but no one really cared about them. At least in the course that I was in. Everyone were just people. Mind you, I can only speak about the people in my course, because I was never in mixed classes with other programs.

Anyway, I think labels are bad, but I don't think they should limit us in what we do...

I have been labeled myself and also once was a time that I was proud of it.About 10 years ago I listened a lot to techno/hardcore/terror music and when you listen to that music and dress to it, here in Holland people call you a 'gabber'. In the beginning I was proud of being one and everytime tourists came or I met a sweet girl I acted like a 'gabber'. ( :) ) Anyways, after 2 years I got less and less proud of the fact that I acted like one, mainly because most of that people were called racists and nazi's.I believe most people label themselves and other peoples due to the fact that humans are 'pack-animals' and everyone is trying to identify their own 'pack'. To be honest I never felt (and still I don't) that I'm a part of this society, like being born at the wrong place and time lol so I guess teens would call me an 'outcast' or 'loner' or something.

By the time I got to college, though the "labels" were still there in principal (I could tell who were the nerds, and who were the social butterflies, etc.) but no one really cared about them. At least in the course that I was in. Everyone were just people. Mind you, I can only speak about the people in my course, because I was never in mixed classes with other programs.

Yeah, at my college I could still tell who the nerds and the "social butterflies" where and even a few new onces, such as the "Partiers" and "Mothers", but the social sterotype doesn't have as much of an effect as it did in high school and middle school. College was the first time I actually talked to people without fear of getting "picked on". I don't know wither it was my class I took on arguing or just the fact that everyone was more mature (for the most part), but I felt more at ease talking to people.

Most of the classes I've been in have been mixed classes, with people coming from differnt backgrounds, parts of the world, and compeletly differnt majors. This I think basically makes lables obsolete in college, because your classes can be so mixed that there is no one from your same label and you have to drop all the sterotypes.

Labels are society's way of saying "I'd rather know about you then know you." We want to be able to put people in a box and think we know them. But we don't. The world's a big scary place when we stop pretending we know everything and everyone. But then the wonder of life around us returns. Plus, it's easier to hate someone if you think you know them. People like to hate Christians because they convince themselves everyone who's a Christian is a certain way. In fact, I just replied to another topic in this category where someone was ranting against all meat-eaters, religious people, SUV users, capitalists, and republicans. As I pointed out, that includes most of the known world. If we say all meat-eaters are jerks and convince ourselves of it, it's easy to hate them and be indignant of them. But as a Christian I believe one of my first priorities is to love and forgive everyone no matter what they've done, just as God's forgiven me. By saying I'm guilty with everyone else, it opens me up to show grace, love, and mercy to everyone even as God has shown such things to me. Now that I think about it, perhaps labels are people's way of having an excuse to look down their noses at those who are different from them, perhaps to stress their individuality, uniqueness, and prideness.

Hey you know what you are so right. I wear plain clothing, jeans and a normal shirt, I am not a so called emo, goth, chav or anything stupid like that, I'm me - end of... I get called a goth if I wear anything dark coloured, a chav if I wear anything light or go for a jog in tracksuits, an emo if I have a music related (rock/metal) shirt or hoodie, a trouble maker if I wear a hoody, I mean what am supposed to wear?? You know once I was down at the beach, I hate orange shorts on, and no top, and I have natural dark brown hair, short, no dies or anything, and this guy goes ' u f***** goth ' and I turned and said what?? me?? what do you mean I dont get it , and all I got was a load of swear words as he walked off? I mean why do that? It seems pointless... Anyway, that feels better.. thanks for your time and great topic..

Personally I'm with Tenshigami on this, it's all abit pointless to me and I know I got sick of it, any way it definately eases of once people grow up. It's just a sad fact that it will be there to start with and it will always be there, some will carry it on in later life (and may even take it to further extremes) but at the end of the day we are all essentially the same, and anyway it's the differences that make life interesting. If it bothers you that much just stay away from people who label you, but (and this goes for everyone, in a similar situation) just remember that it's their problem not yours.

I just ignore it when people say it to me. Cause I'm not a jock, prep, emo, goth or whatever. I'm in that funny person category. Like to make people laugh. But nobody really calls me anything like prep or emo. Well cause I'm not. But just ignore it i guess.

Here is the thing about people who go on rants abut how they hate labels- normaly they are fufilling a lifestyle that is just begging others to label you. If you stopped dressing like a freak emo kid, people would not call you an emo. If you stopped wearing abecrombie and hollister people would not call you a prep :P If you did not make such a big deal out of being labeled (especialy since this is what those emo freaks are all about) they would not call you a label. Simple as that. :P And anyways, if you react to them as much as it seems like you do, they will continue to label you because of the reaction you give. Sure you can tell them to stop, but this will only make it worse.If you don't like them calling you emo or cutter, don't dress like some undead freak.I feel this topic should be locked now.Get over it, labels are a part of life :P