xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vblk

Open All Types Of Compressed Files WITH ONE ?FREE? ?WARE

Hey it?s time again where I bring you the best the web has to offer to you. I was reasenlt struck by the idea that hey, there are dozens of compression type out there (.zip, .gzip, .rar, .cab ect) and to open each one of them, we have to download the specific software (which is either very hard to get or is very expensive) So while looking around, I found ?7-Zip?. A compression software which can open and zip file in almost all the formas out there and best of all it absolutely free! So here?s the Review! :)

Name: 7-Zip

License: Free-ware

Founder: Igor Pavlov

Supported ?Extracting? File types: .001 , .7z , .arj , .bz2 , .cab , .cpio , .deb , .gz , .rar , .rpm, .tar , .zip

Supported ?Compressing? File Types: .7z , .bz2 , .gz , .tar , .zip

Compression Ratio of 7zip format: The 7Zip format which is this software?s one unique format can compress (at ultra compression level) better than the ?Enhanced Deflate? level of WinZip? 9 and Equal (sometimes a little less) than the ?Enhanced Deflate? level Of WinZip? 10.

Web Site: 7-zip.org Click Here

Support (only for registered customers) : support@7-zip.org

Extra: Although the GUI of the software is not as good as WinZip, it is still quit good.

Hope This review helped you,

Bye for Now, :):D

Soft-Review

I have been using 7-Zip for a while and it's more reliable and faster than WinZip. It works with more file types than the other freeware extractors, which only seem to be able to do one or two.One feature I have found useful is the items it adds to the context menu, similar to those offered by WinZip. Right clicking files allows you to test them for errors, extract them and compress them. Quick and simple.You can also add favourite folders which can be accessed with one click, for example, your 'Downloads' folder or something. There is also the option of a two-panel view, to drag files from one folder to another.Excellent piece of software and I certainly recommend it :)

One drawback of this software is that it can't create all type of archives. I was using winrar for sometime and was very impressed. But it is paid software, and it expired. If only 7-Zip could create rar files.Also 7-zip UI is not that intuitive compared to winrar. But considering it is a freeware, it is a very good software.

Yeah, I love 7-Zip; it can open all of those .tar.gz archives (which only *nix based systems would be able to open otherwise). It's a little confusing at first, but you get used to the way it works, and I didn't even need admin priveleges to install it (my computer is somewhat locked down - my dad doesn't trust me with computers, based on what I have done to other computers; let's not get into that).