xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mukund

Netscape Is Back

Well.. Netscape is the father of Firefox, and the Mozilla community.. Basically what you will see in Firefox, you will also see in Netscape. The usage of Netscape is pretty much similar to Firefox and Thunderbird except it has added features which makes Netscape a WOW factor that Firefox doesn't have.Basically if you are a hardcore Firefox user, you will be even more hardcore with Netscape with those extra features. Try that and you will know..

I dont agree with inspiron. Firefox has always been and will always be much better than netscape. Firefox doesn't have the babish graphics of netscape, firefox is much more proffesional looking. Netscape did a great mistake by loosing some of it's greatest feature to get it more user frindly and lost it! Firefox on the other hand is always getting better but it never sacrifises security or speed! Personally i think that firefox 1.5 is the best browser the world has seen since! :(:(

I dont agree with inspiron. Firefox has always been and will always be much better than netscape. Firefox doesn't have the babish graphics of netscape, firefox is much more proffesional looking. Netscape did a great mistake by loosing some of it's greatest feature to get it more user frindly and lost it! Firefox on the other hand is always getting better but it never sacrifises security or speed! Personally i think that firefox 1.5 is the best browser the world has seen since! :(  :(

224289[/snapback]

That's another way you may be thinking. Netscape has added features and that's why some may think it is rather complicated to use, hence somehow looked to be unprofessional or some sort. Firefox may look professional to you and some others in a way such that it is simple in interface and graphics because of its lesser default features and functions. Additional plugins and features may be installed for Firefox though, and eventually if many functions are installed, it will look like Netscape again. Netscape didn't sacrifies security or speed either. It's just a matter whether you want those features that Netscape already provided, or just want the basic interface and addon other features later with Firefox.

Some additional features in Netscape 8.1 are:
- Security Center
- Spyware & Adware Protection
- Real-Time Feeds
- Profiles
- Site Controls
- MultiBar
- Live Content

You can get more details about these features at Netscape website itself ( http://isp.netscape.com/ )
You may say these features can be easily added to Firefox with addons extentions installed. However, it's just how you see things. They are simply quite similar. Netscape is packaged with these many features whereas Firefox has minimal features after installation. The extentions installed to Firefox will somewhat make it similar and function more towards Netscape. It's just how you want it to be immediately after installation.

I tried the Netscap 8.0 browser, and decided that Netscape 7.2, which I currently use (and almost love), is better. I find Netscape 8 really bulky, and previously useful features (like the buddy list in the sidebar) are either gone or hard to find. I really couldn't care for the MultiBar or Site Controls, which I find practically useless. Maybe if Microsoft would get their act together we wouldn't have these problems of the browser wars.

Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

I agree with michaelper22. I've tried this version of Netscape browser and find it rather bulky as well. The browser is feeling heavy in someway. The features really took me some time to understand their usages. As for the Site Controls, I guess it will be useful for multiple users such as the permissions and rights given by a parent for their kids. Otherwise if only ourselves as a single user to Netscape, I also don't think we will use that too. The buddy list is good, I've to agree. Pity they might have removed it in this version..

I agree with michaelper22. I've tried this version of Netscape browser and find it rather bulky as well.

I've always found NS to be bulky - the download files are always huge. I think it's better for you to have the option to include stuff like you can with Firefox than to have a bunch of stuff you may not want included as default.