xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SaintVicious

Pc Powers Off After Boot - Need Help

Alright.. I was watching a TV show on my computer the other day and in the middle of it it suddenly froze. I couldnt get it out of the freeze so I restarted the machine.. it powers up, boots, and begins to load windows.. the windows loading screen comes up and then right when it would of gone to the logon screen it powers off. I can get it up in safe mode but nothing I have tried has done it...Specs:3.6g P41gb ddr 400 ram300g sata hd200g sata hdgeforce mx440 8x ddrFixes I have tried:Windows RepairSwapping out the harddrive - does the same thing (So it cant be hd related)Swapping out ram - same thingCleaning out dust - nopeReset CMOS/BIOS - nopeI thought it might be bad ram.. but I swapped my ram out with a working stick and nothing. I have heard of something like this with agp problems, but my mobo handles 8x, it ran fine for a month or so.. I had it in the shop a month ago for a diffrent problem, came back good as new and with new parts..Anyone heard of this? Any help would be appreciated.. thanks

Usually when a computer fails to boot to normal state but can boot to the safe mode, there's a conflict in hardware or driver. So what was the last thing you installed as software, hardware or driver wise?Go to the safe mode and uninstall/remove it and try it again to see if that helps.Your Windows was set to reboot in time of trouble instead of showing you the blue screen of death. If you can see the blue screen, it would give you a general idea what went wrong--about 30% of the time :(

hmm, imo the only thing you can do at this point is format. since it crashes at the exact same point (it is, right?) then it can't be faulty hardware. when you boot up (im not overly familar with xp, sadly) pick the option to create a bootlog.txt. (if you can)then in dos promt (again if you can, xp isn't my forte) read it using the "edit" command. (edit c:\windows\bootlog.txt or something similar) to see where it fails, and if it fails at the same point. In anycase a format "should" fix it, but there might be a way to avoid it. (a .dll might've got corrupted, your registry might've been *BLEEP*ed by something, etc, which you might be able to replace with a backup.)

Hm.. ya'll think it may be video card ram? I havent installed anything really.. that I can remember. Might have been windows update though.. I always forget to turn that off. Oh and format? Yea right, I would buy a new hd before I formatted one of mine. To lose the 100's of gigs of data I have? Hah, no way. If I do need to buy a new one, I'll look into the external mounts for the old ones..

i really doubt its anything to do with your video card, or anything hardware related, but to make sure (if you have the parts laying around) just swap out everything, run it barebones: no ram no gfx card, 1 hd, etc.) then start swapping out what you haven't yet, psu/gfx card, etc. with ones from another computer.you might be able to reinstall windows (if the problem is software, which imo it is) without doing a reformat, that should fix the problem/

as previously mentioned if you have components lying around such as CPU, memory and AGP then use them for the swapping purposes. First remove all the components of your board then start only with the very basic, only your boot drive, CPU, memory and the AGP, start the system and check if you can get Windows to load, if still not I would first try swapping the power supply then the agp. During this time keep the PC case open just to eliminate the possibility of thermal issues causing this.

Firstly, it can happen as the result of drivers crashing which you might have installed a wrong or bad version of drivers before the computers went into crazy-mode. If that's the case, try removing the bad drivers from safe-mode as that BuffaloHELP has suggested and install a clean and proper driver.Secondly, the hardware components in your computer system might be suffering in high heat content so much that the time the components generate heat to become overheaded can be from the time you turned on the computer to anytime before Microsoft Windows has peoperly started. If that's the case, your computer BIOS is programmed to shutdown the system immediately after reaching a certain temperature to prevent destruction of your hardware components and precious data. You can try to solve by determining if any cooling fans or systems is in working conditions. I also suggest you to open up your computer case and face your home fan at it at top speed while you turn your computer on. If your computer is able to boot up prefectly then, you will need to change your cooling system.Thirdly, if you think its not a hardware problem, simply backup all your important documents in safe-mode, since you are able to access into it, and later on re-format your computer harddisk. This will make sure every data on your harddisk is wiped out, including Windows configurations and settings to viruses and irritating errors. You will need to re-install Windows again after formatting complete.We wouldn't know what is really and exactly happening to your computer but these are the possible solutions that I can think of to your problem. You have a better idea of what's going on to your system, so you are in better position to decide what to do with it. Hope these helps..

hii believe u've got a tv tuner for wachin tv on ur comp, dont u?if it was some kinda of h/w conflict or problem, instead of turnin off during loading wiindows it should go to a blue screen reporting the problem.It could also be a s/w conflict,one such situation could be that by mistake if u've installed more than one antivirus s/w there could exist a conflict between them since antivirus scan should start pretty early(during bootup) and a conflict usually results in reboot. now i am not completely dumping the fact that it could be a h/w problem.

I had a similar problem before . everytime i tried to boot winxp my computer sceen would go blank when it came to loading the login screen. i was only able to boot in safe mode. I tried changing the harddrive & memory but that did'nt work.Finally i decided to change my Vidoe Card and right away the problem was solved, but what i did not understand was howcome a new video card that was only 3 weeks would not work in my pc but the card worked fine on other pcs.I finally found the soulution :( I had installed half life 2 and somehow that corrupted some files that were need by the video card. I simply un-installed the vidoe card drivers then re-install them back and it worked.......maybe you can do the same if you have a spare video card try that.you may also try ressetting your cmos if the above doesnt work.

POWER OFF WHEN TRYING TO INSTALL XP

Pc Powers Off After Boot - Need Help

Hi I have new HD and I'm trying to install winxp from CD but the PC will not stay powered up for more than 30 secs. Whether I am running the install or simply leaving the PC in, for example, the BIOS set up menu, after 30 secs or so it powers off

I have taken off the heat sink and cleaned a lot of muck out of it and reattached it to the CPU with fresh heat resistant tape. The fan is clean too and seems to run well.

The power supply fan is running with no noise so I assume it is ok. Is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks

-question by NICK