xisto Community
Albus Dumbledore

Dells Computer Issues My rant about delss computer issues

with my computer..it is only a little over a year old...and i have had oso many problems with it.. its a dell..and its getttohlets see.first my ethernet conector went bad, then my motherboard, the my D drive, then my CD writer..and NOW my CD writer again..i say its these damned referbished parts they keep giving us! im tired of it! my warentee expires here really sooon and after that i will have to pay for anything that needs to be fixed..aint that the *BLEEP*? i think that as long as they are doing things with referbished parts they should offer a warentee for free for life!

A few years back my dell laptop bit the dust. This was after I had sent it in for warranty work at least 6 times. Every couple of months, even after two weeks after being repaired, I would have to send it back to have the latch fixed. It was horribly designed and the little catch would break off when closing it.It was a pretty high end machine when I got it but about 2 and a half years later, it just wouldn't start up anymore. After hours on the phone with dell someone finally told me my motherboard was bad. Being that my warranty was up, I inquired how much it might cost to fix.......thier response....$900, which is about a third of what I payed for the machine. I just hung up on them and had to scrap the machine. Really sucked.

My laptop is fine. I recieved it in March of last year and it still is running fine. I have opened it and closed it a bit too much though because there are cracks in the back of the hinges now but as long as it doesn't break off completely it should be ok. My whole family has Dells and we have been satisfied with them. There are 6 Dell Computers in the house. My brother's old laptop's motherboard died but that was because he kept it on the rug all the time causing it to overheat. Maybe your computer overheated as well. I don't know but mine is still in good condition as well as the rest in the household. Same with that of my friends. They have had theres for a couple years now and it is still in perfect condition. Maybe it is where it comes from I don't know.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 and I've had it since Dec 2004. It runs great and I've had no issues or any problems with it at all. I renewed the warranty for another 2 years because it covers 100% parts and labour and Dell will provide on-site service within 24 hours.I'd suggest that you talk to Dell customer service and really express that you're unhappy with the level of service you've received and try getting your entire computer replaced by them.

Hi, I have a Dell latitude 'some number'. It doesn't matter wich number. I have it 2 and a half years now. It's for school. It broke down sometimes.First the ventilation broke down, but I take it with me every day so that isn't weird. I called and two days later they came and repaired it!Then 2 months ago, my processor broke. So I couldn't do anything. I called them again. First I dind't knew what was wrong, so with a guy from Dell on the phone we discovered that the processor was broken. They said someone could come and repair it the next day. That was okay by me! Because i needed it really hard for school.Then again my energy cable broke. Again I called and the next day (or the day after that) a new cable was here! So i'm happy with that.I didn't have to pay anything, but I don't know if it's because they are so nice or because I got it from an other company because i'm visually impaired, but that doesn't matter. My computer works and I didn't pay :(.

Especially with their cheaper stuff, I've been seeing more and more quality control issues with things like ethernet cards, on board sound cards, etc. biting the dust. What Dell seems to forget is that it was similar problems with Packard-Bell that doomed them when they tried to build the first sub-$1000 computers and almost doomed the once industry leading Gateway. Same with Dell laptops. I've seen more and more people having problems, especially with the cheaper models. This only ticks people off because even though its "cheaper" they still expect for Dell to mean quality. However, I did have problems with my iBook. It was the first "snowwhite" redeigned model and had the logic board issue that it was in the shop no less than 4 times in two years. All free repairs. ALthough I know better than to buy a first generation Apple (or technology) anything, but I was leaving for a year to live and work in another country and could not wait for the second gen snow white iBooks. Anymore when people ask me for a good PC brand, the only one I can ever think of is Sony. They are the only brand of "off-the-shelf" laptops and desktops that I've not heard any problems about. I used to have a sony laptop before switching to Mac and the only reason I stopped using it was the 233Mhz Pentium processor and 64MB of Ram wasn't enough to power the latest application plus it was needing a new battery.

If you are sick and tired of your dell breaking I would suggest if you can deal with a desktop go to newegg.com and build one from scartch. Not that expensive at all. I built my PC for about $350 and it works really well.

its kinda the same for my parents lap-op, their erm..i think its the hard drive went out twice in just as many years--and we had to go through hell to get them to send us a new one because we were out of warentee, it took my mom *who's a lawyer* threatening to sue them to get a new one sent out..

I'd suggest that you talk to Dell customer service and really express that you're unhappy with the level of service you've received and try getting your entire computer replaced by them.

ive gotten good customer service in a way...but their solution for everything is to re-install windows, and every time i do that my internet never works for ever after that because they cant get their fixes in order

but i do not think that if i complain about it they will replace it all i wish they would i would love it, but i complained before because THEY are the people who screwed up the computer worse than what it was, and they said they are not obligated to fix any problems that the tech may do...

but their solution for everything is to re-install windows

don't do that! Stuff linux on it - ubuntu.com, you have to create an account, but it's all free, and has worked wonders on my Dell Inspiron 510M. I didn't have that many problems (luckily, cause service is impossible to get here!), but the fan was freaking out, and it allways seemed WAY too warm.

Ubuntu Linux is smooth, no problems there, though it takes a couple weeks before the CDs arrive (especially if you live back of beyond), or you can download the appropriate image file. If in doubt, dual boot. I know it seems scary, but hell, it works...