xisto Community
Inspiron

Has Realplayer Became A Spyware?

I've tried downloading the latest RealPlayer from http://www.real.com/de. The latest player, version 10.5, now must be purchased online before being allowed to be downloaded. However it stated that the free version of RealPlayer will become active if you decided to cancel the contract with Real Networks after the 14 day trial period. Hence, you have no choice but to key in your credit card number and personal details before you have access to the download. There are no other ways or alternatives to download RealPlayer for free now.So I've searched Download.com for an older version of RealPlayer. But I didn't realise that the user of RealPlayer is required to sign in, just like Instant Messenger, to be able to play online media. However, I've tried streaming a video and RealPlayer directed me to the purchase website, preventing me from playing any media. Furthermore, it has full of advertisements and kept prompting me back to the purchase website. It somewhat resembles Kazaa which contains spyware.Does anyone knows of an alternative to RealPlayer streaming function? I only know Real Alternative codecs that plays RealMedia files but it cannot stream online media. I gave up on using the original RealPlayer already.

I've tried downloading the latest RealPlayer from http://www.real.com/de. The latest player, version 10.5, now must be purchased online before being allowed to be downloaded. However it stated that the free version of RealPlayer will become active if you decided to cancel the contract with Real Networks after the 14 day trial period. Hence, you have no choice but to key in your credit card number and personal details before you have access to the download. There are no other ways or alternatives to download RealPlayer for free now.

So I've searched Download.com for an older version of RealPlayer. But I didn't realise that the user of RealPlayer is required to sign in, just like Instant Messenger, to be able to play online media. However, I've tried streaming a video and RealPlayer directed me to the purchase website, preventing me from playing any media. Furthermore, it has full of advertisements and kept prompting me back to the purchase website. It somewhat resembles Kazaa which contains spyware.

Does anyone knows of an alternative to RealPlayer streaming function? I only know Real Alternative codecs that plays RealMedia files but it cannot stream online media. I gave up on using the original RealPlayer already.

220167[/snapback]

Yeah, you're so right, both of you. Just the reason why I quit following up Real Player a year or two back.

Winamp is quite a treat in that respect, I agree. Now, if you really want to get something closer to the feeling you get with Real Player, you could decide to go downloading Real Alternative at :

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/real_alternative.htm.

It's Open Source to my knowledge, so it's free and they take extra care to get it up-to-date, technically speaking.

Cheers

So I've searched Download.com for an older version of RealPlayer. But I didn't realise that the user of RealPlayer is required to sign in, just like Instant Messenger, to be able to play online media. However, I've tried streaming a video and RealPlayer directed me to the purchase website, preventing me from playing any media. Furthermore, it has full of advertisements and kept prompting me back to the purchase website. It somewhat resembles Kazaa which contains spyware.

Yeah, you're so right, both of you. Just the reason why I quit following up Real Player a year or two back.

Same here ongnoai. I quit using RealPlayer about a month after I started using it, because I suspected there was something wrong with the program, and I just didn't like it's style. Now I have evidence to find I was right. They make a free version but don't allow you to use it until the trial is over! That just...

For lack of a better word (sorry), RealPlayer sucks. I'm definately gonna take a look at winamp.

I just found out that Winamp requires registration to download. The registration requires an email adress, as per usual. And since it is a corporate-based Free Program, I doubt I should trust it either...

The thing is, can Winamp able to stream RealMedia files online?I know many realmedia codecs alternatives so we can all play realmedia files using other players, by the fact of not using RealPlayer itself. But there isn't any alternatives to streaming online realmedia files that I know of..Does anyone know of any...?

Real Alternative only provides the RealMedia codec. They will work when you play RealMedias on any other players without the need of RealPlayer.

However, Real Alternative still does not support RSTP streaming of RealMedia as yet.

Here's what I've found about RealPlayer...

Important Notes:

- RealPlayer may collect some presonal information. If this concerns you, please read their privacy policy here.

- This download may includes adware (and spyware) software. Adware (and spyware) software may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the End User License Agreement ("EULA") and installation options! We also, recommend you to run Microsoft AntiSpyware or other antispyware software after installation process.

This quote taken from http://www.free-codecs.com/download/realplayer.htm

This site is pretty trustful, and it certainly gives us the impression of RealPlayer..

Hmm... by the looks of it, it doesn't seem to be reliable anymore. The only reason I use RealPlayer (Okay, maybe I don't use it). But the reason I still have it, is because I sometimes use it for certain websites, but that chance doesn't come by very often, so to speak... Thus, it's rendered useless... I love my Winamp~ :blink: It's good enough for me.

I just downloaded Real Player a couple of days ago and didn't have to pay anything for it. I don't understand why anybody would pay for it when you can just download it for free. I use Firefox, and just clicked on the addons & extensions on my Firefox Google start page, then clicked on the link to Media Plugins. I got the Windows version. Here's the link, if you don't want to bother looking it up yourself:
Firefox Media Plugins Page

As for spyware, I don't use it for streaming video, so I just told my firewall not to let it contact the internet. I don't let many programs contact the internet on their own. Most programs have to ask me first. It's sort of a backup system in case my scans miss a trojan, and it tries to call home, like ET. LOL.

Thanks tt3.. But I don't think I'm going to look into for RealPlayer anymore. I already don't trust that software. It just brings problems and spywares into my computer. I'll just have to forget about streaming any RealMedia formats from the internet and stick with Windows Media Player streaming.At least Windows Media Player is working effortlessly then RealMedia streaming.. I cannot deny that..

Thanks tt3.. But I don't think I'm going to look into for RealPlayer anymore. I already don't trust that software. It just brings problems and spywares into my computer. I'll just have to forget about streaming any RealMedia formats from the internet and stick with Windows Media Player streaming.
At least Windows Media Player is working effortlessly then RealMedia streaming.. I cannot deny that..

I don't like Real Player either. I wouldn't use it at all, but some sites I use often depend on it for their audio and video streaming services. Real alternative isn't much of an alternative for me (doesn't seem to like my pc much) so I'm stuck with realplayer untill these websites decide to start using windows media formats for streaming.

Realplayer is the best mp3 player around! i even use it on my moblie! as for spyware i have to say a BIG no!Realplayer is free,fun and excellent :huh: I would recommended to every one!

I wouldn't. If Microsoft ever released a version of Windows Media Player that supported Real formats, people would drop Real Player in a second. IMHO, it's terrible, terrible software, and I wouldn't trust RealNetworks an inch...