xisto Community
ComeToLife

Audio Recording Looking for software

So I'm not quite ready to spend $1500 on a Boss BR-1600 Digital Recording Studio package...and I know there are many options for recording music through the computer...my biggest concern is compatibility, quality, and actually I guess...ease of use? I've heard of things like the Tascam US-122 which works through the USB port, and you can plug guitars and mics directly into this thing, but for the most part, everything else is done software-wise...on the computer. Anyone have an idea of the quality of these kind of products? I also know there's a new similar item called Inspire...I believe, which works through the FireWire port. I'm a little hesitant to use a software-based music recorder/editor, unless I've got some good feedback first.

Tascam is a pretty good manufacturer of sound equipment, I don't know what's the price of it...I worked in a big radio station, and we used Sonic Foundry Sound Forge, and Vegas, for all recordings and edits, and it provided excellent quality. We even converted entire musical archive from tapes and records, to MP3's and CD's, with no quality loss...With Sound Forge, you will need some external mixer, to mix all inputs into one, and record it from the line-in... Ofcourse, you will need some good sound card, like Audigy, of the new FX series...It's quite safe to use software recorders, they provide semi-professional sound...

There are a few decent freeware ones.. Audacity comes to mind... As does Kreative Music Engine (I don't have links off hand, but google does :blink:)I've used kreative, it has a 16 track limit, and a 5 minute song length, and sounds ok... But my mic sucks and I have a built in sound card, so it could be better... They're worth looking up sometime to just try it out

Cakewalk and Cooledit pro are the two most appreciated softwares in this respect. they have so many recording tracks and they are fully equiped with so many manipulating plugins and tools. they are just like compact recording studios. the only other things you will need for your job is a few proffesional microphones. by searching google you can learn more about them. i have use it for 1 week. i had a very short audio to edit.

seeing how everyones on the topic.. does anyone know where or at what price is the lowest that I'd be able to get a those recording mixer desk.. just to record like say if i wanted to sing along with a instrumental or backing track. I want to have a home recording studio but the thing is i want the best price.. and not too expensive. I am a student afterall and can't afford to pay too much.

Well, if you were considering spending $1500 on a Boss BR-1600 Digital Recording Studio package, why not spend a 1/3rd of that and get guitar rig 3? It has awesome guitar effects, it has won many awards besides you get a pedal and audio interface all in one. I think its the best interface you can get for that kind of money. Think about it... the tascam audio interface costs between 150 -200 dollars I believe. add a decent pedal to that and it will end up costing you almost as much as the guitar rig. For recording there are free audio applications such as reaper and audacity. At the beginning they will be complicated but you will get used to them with time and practice. Besides its easier to upgrade a computer studio package than a hardware studio package such as the Boss BR-1600.

What is it you are looking at recording? How Many Simultaneous tracks?

If you just want something to record guitar and vocals (depending on the mic you have) there is an interface I am looking at an M-Audio Mobile Pre-USB

as for software, are you a mac or PC User? If you're a PC User, There is Kristal Audio Engine, Audacity Those I have used to mix, and it's not bad. I haven't used Kristal to record. Not to mention most interfaces have some free or basic version of a recording program, There's Ableton Live which you can get a free version for I think.

If you're a mac user there's some out there, I haven't use many I liked.

All of the ones I have mentioned are FREE.