xisto Community
mukund

Blu-ray Format Specs Finalized

Source - ITFresh.com <- My space

Blu-Ray format specs finalized

Recently, the Blu-ray Disc Association announced that the format specification for its new standard has been completed, and it is now ready to begin licensing. Both the Blu-ray Disc single and dual layer specifications have been approved.

BlueRay homePage

Notice from mayank:
You've to quote each & everything which is copied. Thanks for mentioning the place from where you copied the material, quotes added.

Edited by mayank (see edit history)

Wow, I had heard about blu ray about a year ago, and I thought It would never go mass, actually I had already forgot about its existence. Its amazing, backing up 50 gb per disc will really help me and my 80gb hard drive a lot, but It will probably cost like 5 times a regular hard drive (or more who knows).

yeah, things that pop into my mind are how much they will cost before the world starts to implement the transaction to next-gen mediums and what the first applications for these disc will be... I mean the specs and everthing are incredible and of course you would have to be stupid to not appreciate what these technological advance means but how long before we start seeing them around! Soon I hope!LoTech

I think i read somewhere that they should be coming out this year HD DVD and blueray that is... I sure hope that blueray wins the video format war, just seems like a better choice for the futures because they can store so much more... but of course if they are are rediculously more expensive then maybe not...

That what i'm saying. Im just not sure if we need that capacity right now. I mean yeah its cool and is a huge step forward, but very few things come on more than 1 dvd! So are you willing to pay excessing amount for a non-standard format which isn't really needed right now? Oh well, its still really cool :blink:

I hope that Blu-ray wins before HD-DVD, if not I hope there will be drives who can read and write both formats.I heard that a Blu-ray drive should be able to read and write, they aren't seperated in writer/reader, is that true? And where can I find the final specs, I don't see anything about them in the links?

That what i'm saying. Im just not sure if we need that capacity right now. I mean yeah its cool and is a huge step forward, but very few things come on more than 1 dvd! So are you willing to pay excessing amount for a non-standard format which isn't really needed right now? Oh well, its still really cool :(

220677[/snapback]

To me though I think it would be great for TV series that are release on DVD to be released on something like blue-ray because honestly I am lazy about things like switching disks. I'd much rather be able to just pop in a single disk and be able to watch any episode from a particular season of Scrubs without having to figure out which episodes are on what disc.

I would be very wary of such information as Sony, one of the biggest companies pushing it, is known for it's overexaggerating and general baloney. Sony originally said that the PS3 would ship with Blu-ray technology but now aren't so sure because they've found some pretty major basic problems with the technology. Either it's not shipping with Blu-ray, or they're pushing the PS3 release date back - either one bad. You can read an article at:
BetaNews
There are more articles but I am too tired at the moment to find them. At any rate I'm waiting to see which one comes out on top if either at all as things like holographic discs are in the process already.