xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
alperuzi

Palm Pdas

If anyone has a Palm PDA or PocketPC PDA or used one, how about a comparison of the two? I'm getting a Palm Tungsten T from ebay, but I decided that I dunno much about PDAs, since before last week I didn't care about them much!So, how useful are they? Any kind of info is welcome.edit: ok, none of you kids care about Palms... fine then, I'll post a review when I get it...

im a kid and i have a pda.it's a sony clie and i use it almost every day you can put plenty of games on it and if you sync it every day you can get movie times, news weather, and almost anything you want. The battery does last a while, if you leave it on it will alst about 1-3 days

some time back i used to be heavy into pdasand did thorough research between the palmand pocketpc formats. i started out with thepalms but eventually crossed over to thepocketpcs because they had alot morefunctionality and had shrinked in size significantly.actually which is better depends on how youintend to use it. there is no best solution for everyone.

Well, ok I got my palm Tungsten T

here is a photo:

Posted Image

I had some trouble at first, because the darn seller sells it as the Tungsten T, but in actual fact it is a prototype for a Tungsten T, dubbed "Oslo". You can see the codename and the serial in the picture...

So I couldn't get audio to work properly at first, device reset wheneve I pressed play on a mp3 player program. However with some help from http://www.palminfocenter.com/ forum members I was able to flash the OS with that of an actual Tungsten T.

So it works charmingly now, as I'm writing I'm listening to Spinal Tap from the PDA plugged into my speakers.

Apart from that, I can play divx movies. Got myself a 256meg SD card from Kingmax, was pretty cheap at 42 canadian.

The T|T has bluetooth, but no wi-fi (:)) which kinda sucks because I use wi-fi both at home and school and when I travel. I was hoping that Sandisk would make Palm OS 5 drivers for their SDIO card, but I dunno if it will ever happen.

Right now the only thing I'm pissed off about is that my digital camera uses Compact Flash cards instead of SD, so I can't use the SD card on it...

But anyways, if you want a good and cheap Palm pda, I would highly recommend the T|T, the newer versions like the T5 and the T3 just have faster cpu and more memory being more or less the same in functionality (and x4 the price!)

I used to have a cassiopea e-500, but i sold it to get my paintball gun :(. But now thinking about geting an axim x50v. Because of the VGA screen. It can get 480x640 resolution. which is crazy sweet. And its got 16mg of video memory. Its just more expencive than most. Its like $499 US. but you can get coupons if you search around hard enough and get it for around 400 to 430.

That thing is HUGE! its like twice the size of mine, but its way cool! Actually the x30 is great too, Dell seems to make awesome PDAs, except they should design them better. They just implement everything! Bluetooth, wi-fi, 600Mhz Intel cpu... The x50 even has both a CF and a SD card reader!The prices... i got mine for cheap, $100 actually, plus a huge $20 on shipping... thanks to ebay! :(

Integrated wireless and bluetooth, sounds pretty good!And its a small device (unlike the dell x50 for example) so thats a pro.However it only has a 1000mAh battery which means when you are using wireless it will drain in no time.

I'm looking to buy a new phone--I have an original Nokia from the year 2000! The only thing I need is to be able to download Epocrates (a palm software medical program) I don't need a lot of whistles and bells (other than Outlook stuff) but wi fi would be great. Blackberry does not support this medical program. Suggestions?