xisto Community
tdktank59

Dancing Robots Sonys new robots

Well it looks like the Qrio robots just got the Axe from Sony already. So now the four in the Beck video will be the only ones. Slashdothas some more info about it, but apparently Sony has been cost cutting and cancelled the Qrio, and Aibo (Sony's robot dog).

It's too bad would have been cool to see how they turned out as a toy.

The original article can be found here.

I'm really not surprised that it's being cut. Although Aibo and Qrio look cool, they are very expensive (over a thousand dollars for Aibo, and I'm sure Qrio would be around 3-5 thousand at least), so not very many people can, or care to, own one. even that such a steep price, Sony was probably selling at a loss already (as is the common practice of Japanese businesses), and they probably realized that they would never own a large enough market to make the loss worthwhile.

QUOTE(tdktank59)lol dude its sony... they made the psp and *BLEEP*

So? The PSP is nice, but it's hardly a breakthrough in technology.
QUOTE(tdktank59)
look at how big ipods are now they are fing skinny

iPods are by Apple - not Sony.
QUOTE(tdktank59)
its scary... next thing we know we will have an inplant ipod that holds 300 gigs thats the size of a atom...

Forgive me for being frank, but that's stupid. You obviously don't understand much about physics. There will never be devices that small. There are no material properties in particles smaller than a molecule. Besides, it takes matter to store the energy necessary to retain information, and noone would be able to use anything that small. I know you were overstating it, but you did so to the point that you look very, very foolish.
QUOTE(tdktank59)
its called science it just happens that japan does not spend its money on there army as much as we do so they have more to go towards buissnesses and so on better funds = better inventions

Uh, no. The government funds the army in the United States - not businesses. Businesses are funded by the people, who are looking to make a profit, thus is the reason that useful things are invented.
QUOTE(tdktank59)
it could also be a learning robot... it has the capacity to listen and learn from it...

That's my whole point. There wouldn't be that many robotics breakthroughs in one device. Especially not one cheap enough to sell for a profit. Each major feature (true artificial intelligence, the ability to learn, the ability to really dance, the ability to really speak) would be invented at different times, and each would get huge media coverage. Instead, the coverage is just about one TOY that combines all the features into one. Thus, the features can't be all they appear to be.
QUOTE(tdktank59)
but heh w/e i dont know much about this

That is apparent.
QUOTE(tdktank59)
after i reserach this topic a bit more than i did before

It's not too hard to beat no research.
QUOTE(atomicnacho)
As for them not being new technology, I really think that they are quite an advancement from any biped robot that I have seen. Both in terms of their ablilty to move smoothly and walk, and also their ability to accurately imitate human movements and dance. And I'm sure that since there are only 4 in the world that they were not easy to make.

Yes, they are the first robot that is able to stand on one leg.

But who says that there are only 4 in the world? Just because only four were dancing at the press conference doesn't mean that they are all that exist. If Japan plans to sell these things as toys, they have got to be cheap enough that they can afford to make more than just two.

Woot the Azn's have done it again :(
Haha kinda got pwned a bit there... Anyway cool these rbots do have a fluid movement

By these days, it's not only the movement. Also the languaje skills and sensors are very advanced. Don't you think? By seeing those things now I'm sure it's a matter of time for us to see robots like those in the movies, and that opens all kind of possibilities.By now, it's an expensive, yet amazing toy or mate :) I'd like one!

haha well i think these guys (the robots) are sort of old, i mean they have a lot of time out there, i think i saw it by the beggining of the 2005, i also heard about the honda robot, one very competitive as well.But well it would be great to heard from you guys if you have made a robot...

Just one that follows a black line on a white surface :rolleyes: I think the simplest of all, yet I enjoyed making it, from CDROMs and wrecked toys, and trying to make it run faster. By the way, I don't like lego stuff, metal and screws hold a lot more rude duty, jajajaja. At least I had more fun cutting and designing. :)

Just a few comments here.

When talking about the Honda robot, I assume you mean ASIMO, which was built back in 2000. While it has many breakthroughs in walking and interaction technology, it is a far cry from being any C-3PO. Furthermore, there are many more accurate and believeable robots (via animatronics) that are used in movies, such as Jurassic Park. Besides, the way the digital effects industry is going, it will soon be much cheaper to use 3D effects made in a computer than build real-life animatronic characters to use.

As for the QRIO robots being fluid in motion and quick to move, it may appear that way, but robots using motors will always have a slow response time. However, there have been experiments with robotic muscles that can react almost as fast as human muscles, and are about as strong. Furthermore, there have been theories concerning a new kind of artificial muscle that could react 1,000 times faster than an organic muscle, and could be much stronger, as well.

Awesome!!! I had been waiting a long time too see more frome this little robots, ever since some person posted it here a couple of months ago. Besides, I had heard this song on the radio a few weeks ago but didnt catch the name or the artist (they mustve said it at the beginning, and I didnt listen to it from the beginning). So this thread kind of killed 2 birds with one shot for me. Thanks! :lol: