xisto Community
mystmag

Is Voip Good Technology? what are your thoughts

I have recently downloaded a VoIP free service (Voice over Internet Protocol, computer-to-computer chatting) called GloPhone (GloPhone, and find that it ROCKS! GloPhone gives you a free telephone number from the USA and allows you to call any other person using GloPhone by typing in their telephone number.
Also, for a low cost, you can purchase a plan that allows your computer to send a call to any actual telephone in the USA or Canada.
However, GloPhone is not the only VoIP Service Provider...I have seen a United-Kingdom-based VoIP provider known as Skype (http://download.cnet.com/windows/ and search up Skype) I am unaware of their web site, however I am sure that you can download Skype from cNet Download.com
Does anyone else have a VoIP account, provider or telephone number? Skype does not give you a telephone number like GloPhone, they force you to add other people's email addresses who you know that use Skype Messenger to your "Contacts List", and then you can contact them whenever Skype Messenger notices that their IP Address comes online, or they sign onto Skype Messenger...
If anyone else uses VoIP, can they please Private Message (PM) me their email address and VoIP Provider?
I am aware that if one person uses GloPhone and another person uses Skype, they cannot interact with each other...:D
Oh, and finally, another VoIP Service Provider can be Vonage, however even their cheapest plan, which allows you to contact a telephone anywhere in North America, I believe, costs money. There is no basic VoIP Plan with Vonage, allowing two computers to interact...:D
Respond! I would appreciate more people on my contact list!
GloPhone Fan,
Stephen

Notice from mayank:
Edited topic title & description, please note that topic title & its description has to be good

Edited by mayank (see edit history)

and you dont' gave your contact number of Glophone. my number is 5013860220 Ext. 8628
just leave message to me, :)

--
and i just thank you so a lot for that only 384 Kb 's programme,since i know the Voip tech is more grownup than before,i'm just searching the project from sourceforge but just no results. :P
is there a really free and opensource p2p voip phone ?? even it didn't gave me number i'd like that.

they force you to add other people's email addresses who you know that use Skype Messenger to your "Contacts List", and then you can contact them whenever Skype Messenger notices that their IP Address comes online, or they sign onto Skype Messenger...

skype of course been used mostly i think.:P

I use Skype because I think it's the best choice among all VoIP providers, in terms of voice quality. It's free PC-to-PC calls certainly rule out many other VoIP providers. Also, Skype sometimes surprises its users by giving free Skypeout minutes which you can use it to call lanelines and mobile phones free for that total minutes provided. Other than that, it uses encryption for the voice data that sent into the internet. Besides, file transfer and text messenging are also encrypted. That makes Skype one of the most secure Instant Messenger (IM) as well.I would probably just stick to skype for personal use. Probably Google Talk might be the next provider that I might be trying out..

but hey guy,do you tried the both how about the voice quality,then just gave some test for more and more VOIP communication tools.. :) anyway the pc to pc is always free,and it surely must i think.

VoIP sux if you ask me. use jabber, use gtalk, use msn...and there is email, affcourse forums are there... Why would you use VoIP ?i conntact more on msn with people from my city and people that i know then on telephon. but its free, i can talk free to my firends on the other side of eart h and its still free and fast.and like Sarith sad you have to pay to get cals.. is that true ?

I think PC to landlines/mobile VoIP is a very convienient technology because it connects me with people who perfer to use the phone over the computer to chat where as I perfer to use the computer over the phone to chat. I currently use skype to do this and the rates are good. The PC to PC VoIP I think is redundant because there are so many different programs that you would have to download the talk to a large number of people.

I almost converted the house to use VOIP phones instead of landlines. Vonage...but we if internet was down...then we'd lose phone so we decided on the landlines.

I'm planning to finally downoad skype since I've been getting really good comments on the service. When I was in high school there was a program called DialPad that works like Skype but I don't think it's still around and I believe at that time there were issues about bypassing telephone service and it was somehow deemed as illegal. Are these (Skype, Talk) programs illegal? They seem somehow illegal and sneaky. :(

VOIP is where telephone services will all end up going, you'll have internet, tv and phone all come through one cable to your house, old telephone networks are not neccicary anymore and will be phased out within the next 20 years. VOIP will be great because combined with wireless networks all phones will operate like cellular phones and you will be contactable on one number whever you are, even when overseas....

i've used skype and I can say that this is a pretty good application and best of all it is free, quality is great and I think this technology will be all around us soon, compared to normal telephone lines they say that voip is much cheaper.

I use Voip for some time now and sure specialy at the beginning I had some doubts about the quality and so but I was gladly amazed whit it.

I use Voipbuster ( http://www.voipbuster.com/dashboard ) because of the fact they provide free landline calls to losts of country's and provided me with a free number (unlike skype where you have to pay to get inbount calls). It alsohas free p2p calls and the quality is fine. Sometimes there is a small echo but that happens only when I am downloading with more as 90% of my bandwide.

Overall I think the quality of Voip becomes better and better everyday :(

The one problem that I found with Skype is that it is TOO bandwidth efficient: sometimes you get bad audio because it is only using a hundreth of your bandwidth, and also as a result, video calling suffers very badly: (even MSN live messenger can beat Skype if you know what you are doing!!)Better would be a service which allowed you to set how much bandwidth you would prefer to use, and as a result get quality based on that....anyone know a decent one?

Skype and Talky must be Legal well at least Skype. I have been using skype since it was launched when there were just over 100 users and have watched it grow over the years. and yes, it is frustrating when they bring out offers for new sign ups which we never got as pioneering members or users. One thing I have noticed though is that prices for calls to landlines and mobile phone /cellphones are getting cheaper naturally calling within their network would be free because thats their marketing tool so that if you can make free calls to your cousin in say Australia you will by word of mouth advertise and convince them to sign up to skype for the free calls and your cousin will inturn let his freinds know about the free calls and that way their signup list increases. This is all in the faith that at some point as they get addicted to using skype they will slowly start using skype out to make calls to landlines and mobiles because it is said to be cheaper and at the end off the day it will be more income for Skype since you, your cousin and all his freinds and their cousins will be making call to landlines on skype.The quality is impressive but I would say they can improve but obviously they are bound to blame your connection speed and ISP if you have interference and stuff. But then i always ask myself shouldnt they have the best quality for what they have in terms of speed say 512kb broadband that way if users have greater than that its a bonus...Theres only one way to find out how good skype or other VoiP services are and that is to donload and signup and use them. Good luck