xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Ntldr Is Missing

Ntldr is missingNtldr Is Missing

my laptop show the message like this : Ntldr is missing, press alt+ctrl+del to restart. When I press the command, black screen still appear again and again. I no have idea to face with this problem. If this error happen on pc, maybe I can solve it by change the jumper direction or remove a while the battery but this things happen on my laptop. What can I do sir...Urgent..

-reply by ahmad

NTLDR is mising AND CANNtldr Is MissingSorry for the lengthy question but I want to give an accurate description as possible so hopefully someone can help me. Last night I decided to reformat my hard drive and start from scratch (Toshiba Satellite notebook utilizing Windows XP Home Edition) at first I tried to run the XP CD right from the start menu. It DID boot up at which point I was asked for a product key. I then remembered ?wait I can?t do it from here I have to do it from the start up.?I shut the computer down and restarted it. Upon entering the setup I could not delete the partition (it said files were being used) this led me to think that I was in fact still booting from the hard drive and not the CD. I COULD NOT get it to boot from the CD. (Using a generic XP CD) I even changed the primary boot up drive to CD-ROM as the primary instead of the hard drive. Still no luck, the hard drive was then extracted and stuck into an external case and then formatted via another computer.The PROBLEM???Upon sticking the hard drive back in I am now receiving a message that states NTLDR (NT loader is missing) press Ctrl+ALT+Delete to restart. This would seem normal because the hard drive is no longer there being that I formatted it from the external case. So I assumed two things, either it is still trying to boot off the hard drive or the CD-ROM is bad (however I don?t believe it?s a bad CD drive because if you recall I was able to boot from the start up menu at which point I was asked for a product key) So I am assuming the CD drive is good. Still to be safe I did take out and swap the CD drive (thinking it might be bad) but still same message as above. I replaced it back with the original CD drive because I am pretty sure it is not the drive. So now I am stuck. I can?t get it to boot from the CD drive no matter what I do Any suggestions? Thank you kindly everyone for their help.-reply by Chris

NTLDR Missing!!Ntldr Is Missing

I had that same problem.Mine was on a Dell Latitude CPx,after installing a hard drive out of an IBM Notepad that was given to me so I'm not certain how or why it came to be that way.But how I took care of the problem was to go and change the preload volume from Ibm_preload to Ibm_service and reformat with Fix-it Utilities9 professional.Reinstalled Win.XP with the Dell reinstallation CD and all's fine! I hope this can help! Oh! don't forget 2 valium & a cold pac just to keep the nerves in check!!

to recover ntldr file boot they system by windows xp bootable cd and use the R=repair option then select your windows number its likely 1 then type the administrator password and go to your cd rom prompt then use dir command its show the i386 directory use cd i386 command and now use copy ntldr c:  and press enter now restart your computer.

-reply by mahesh

Had this problem yesterday on a dual boot machine with WinXP and Ubuntu. I use Grub as the bootloader.

This can happen if the MBR has a problem, but also if you added or removed a hard disk.

The solution was to change the options in grub's /boot/grub/menu.Lst.

Make sure the line like

(hd0,1)

actually specifies the right disk and partition. Try changing it, for example to

(hd1,1)

(second hard disk, second partition; see http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ )

If you have lines like

map (hd0) (hd1)  map (hd1) (hd0)

try removing them. If you don't, you can try adding them. See http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you need to re-install grub as the bootloader, you can do that with a Linux LiveCD.

-reply by rduke15

in my laptop windows-XP was installed. then i installed windows-7. then i installed linux Red Hat. die to some problem of internet connectivity, i had to replace redhat by fedora. after successful installation of fedora when i tried to access windows, following message occurred:'NTLDR is missing'Please let me know how to resolve this problem?