xisto Community
sargilla

Compressin Files?

I just created an e-book with pics colours now it's up to the size of 20 MB.winZipping it doesn't help , I need to compress it so much that I'm stuck whether i should use Total Commander or WinRAR.i want to be able to send it to people and eventually I will be uploading it onto my server and people will be downloading it from there.

well... then try both - total commander and winrar - to see which of the two can yield aMORE compressed file :) you pretty much answered your question already. <_<

no1

every method of comperssion has options

remember that the more time it thake the better the outcome gets (read smaller)

be aware that if you wanna compress a "compressed" content you aint gonna gain much. By that i mean JPG,GIF,AVIssss etc - thise sourser are already compressed.

no2

winzip is the worst achriving standard ever build <_<

winrar is mych better so does Gzip and Bzip(linux)

ACE stands even higher

and if your into comandline UHARK is the hardcore when it comes to compression

Well, let me tell ya It's been several years since I started using WinRar in place of WinZip. If you still use WinZIP, you should change your mind and move to WinRAR. <_<

There is a limit when you are compressing files. Expecially for JPEGs or other picture formats. Cause these formats tend to be already compressed by their algorithms, so make double compression will not make your files lot smaller, only few kB. Sometimes is gets even biggers <_< .Better solution is to recompress files to lower JPEG level in Photoshop. That could do the trick you want.

The best result I did see till now came from 7zip.

[/br]Archiver               Compressed size 	 Ratio[br]7-Zip (7z format)  5445402          100%[/br]WinRAR 3.10          6004155           110%[br]WinAce 2.3            6242424             115%[/br]CABARC 1.0          6455327           119%[br]7-Zip (zip format)   9461621            174%[/br]PKZIP 2.50             9842800             181%[br]
http://www.7-zip.org/

Yes : use 7-zip instead of winRAR.7-zip is an open format : everybody can read it.WinRAR produces RAR file, which is a closed and patented format : you have to pay to read it, and your compressed files depend from a company....

i have not heard of total commander but winrar and win ace are good. Though have you noticed that they do not compress all types of files? Some files stay the same in size when compressed and some even increase.What is the problem?....

i also would recommend 7zip as a format. not only that it is open and free but it is also VERY VERY efficient....and i like the archiving tool because it simply focuses on what you need and leaves out anything else that is not necessary... it might not look very tuned up but it has a lot of power (and can also read almost all the other formats on the market....)

I would 7-zip only if it offered a self extracting file since I dont think most people are capable of extracting that format. RAR would be a better choise overall since its more well know and supported.

I would 7-zip only if it offered a self extracting file since I dont think most people are capable of extracting that format. RAR would be a better choise overall since its more well know and supported.

erm...
7.zip supports rar and ace files to (both compress as extract) and since 7zip is freeware and opensource what do you have to loose?

7zip = (opensource) freeware
winrar= (closedsource) blameware

<_<