xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Final)arkJon

Dev C++ FREE C++ COMPILER

yes, you can write C code on it.i had installed it on my PC before, and used it for a while. But i'm not used to its debugging tool. i couldn't run my program step by step no matter how i tried. so i come back to previous software, Visual C++ <_<

In my opinion Dev-Cpp is not so good... EXE files are very big (e.g. 'Hello world" has about 700kb)

if you know where to look you can actually get vc++ very very cheaply. i have a friend who got visual studio .NET 2003 professional for $150 NEW! (in Australia) the reccommended retail is about $950.if your devc++ exe files are about 700 kb, you are probably leaving debugging symbols in. i can't remember how to remove them, but when you output your final product, you should turn off the debugging symbols. it will be somewhere in the linker options, or maybe the compiler options.

DevC++ is OK and you also have Watcom...http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Main_Page or you can just install GCC + Anjuta...anyway, you have many options.There was some discount offer (only for students) at Microsoft, two years ago, where I got my full VS6 pro + MSDN + Service Packs for only 15$If you plan to go pro with making software and, someday, even selling them, I suggest you risk some money and order licensed Visual Studio.

DevC++ is OK and you also have Watcom...http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ or you can just install GCC + Anjuta...anyway, you have many options.There was some discount offer (only for students) at Microsoft, two years ago, where I got my full VS6 pro + MSDN + Service Packs for only 15$If you plan to go pro with making software and, someday, even selling them, I suggest you risk some money and order licensed Visual Studio.

dawo has a good point, i find that vc++ is the best thing you can use. the debugger is great (although it has stopped working on my computer :( ) and the syntax highlighting and completion so easy to use and flawless as far as i can tell.mind you, it took me a bit to get the money, and it really depends on how much you intend on doing, and wether you will use mfc or anything.

i also recently installed Dev-C++ and have tried learning it through the help files etc and when i talk to people about certain commands, they will not know what im talking about or tell me to use other ones, because of the different 'libraries/ reference files' so it has become confussing to learn. I also have Visual Studio 6 (downloaded for free) and it has Visual C++ in it but i cannot access help files and its a huge thing to install. I wish all languages had one set of commands (not one world wide set, just one function for the same thing), but i dunno, it might 'limit' abilities, so ill have to learn what i can for now.

If you follow the standards when writing c/c++ the you shouldn't have any compatibility issues unles you're doing something more complicated. However, if you are talking about the compilers themselves then that's an entirely different thing. They are different.

I love Dev C++. If you don't want to spend money on a compiler, you can just download it for free. The file sizes for basic programs are huge, but the file sizes don't go up that much after a file is already created. (A much more complicated program will take nearly the same amount of memory as "Hello World")

:( That's nice guys, but I've noted that there's nofstream library in DevC++ [or is that just me?]-also that VC++ commandline release is available on http://www.thefreecountry.com/ and you need at least a win2000 for it.But DevC++ is good for many things like OpenGL[NeHe's pages at gamedev.net are very useful]But, you all should go to bloodshed.net to get the thing at it's source.------------------------Which is worse? No commandline ornothing to command?-the Gatian excuse