xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Scrounger

Psp Vs Video Ipod what to buy....

I would go for the psp. But one things that is better about the ipod is that it has a built in hard drive compared to the psp which you have to buy a memory card for about $100 or more depending on the size. But the psp does have a bigger screen. So i guess its just personal choice. I would easly go for the sony psp tho.

The thing is the PSP can access wireless internet and you can play games with it.Ipod is good though!If your'e a gamer it's PSP.If you need a portable media device it Ipod!Just what you need really!

I think i'll go for PSP, cause I own one and I find it to be a very good piece of console.

Price is not so bad, cost around 250USD

Size is not really much different compared to the ipod video

Memory depends on your memory card, highest it can support is 2GB if not mistaken

Supports hi-def format.

WMA and MP3, also sony's own format

Games are quite alot of to choose from

Accesories are also quite a variety

PSP's TFT monitor is absolutely much better than that of Ipod Video. If I am not wrong, the monitors come from Sharp, a major player of LCD monitors whereas Ipod?s, I have no idea. PSP is also better if you consider the add-on functions that it is providing. You can play games on it, something that Ipods do not provide.I will certainly choose PSP among the two for its better quality.

I would like a psp, If it could turn into a cell phone it would be all I ever need, because I listen to music so much in a day that I wouldnt worry or ever want to carry 20gb of music that Im probably not going to finish listening too ever.

Personnally I think that a PSP is better if you want games, but overall I find the the iPod video is better because of the longer battery life and MP3 playback. You can also resize DVDs and put them into Quicktime format with Cocktail-A Program for importing DVDs. Just google, Cocktail-Its freeware.

You know, these products would kinda overlap on a vin diagram, but not by much. Yes the PSP can play music and videos, but it's main function is playing games. The ipod, can't play games (other than someone managed to port DOOM I to the system....so go figure), but is designed for people who commute a lot to and from work. I know when I lived in Europe I would have loved to had such a system. Especially where I could have downloaded some of my favorite TV programs, like Battlestar Galactica, the day after it aired in the states. Yeah, the screen size might be small, but I can also play the video on my iBook as well, so...However, I'll will bet real money that Apple sells more video iPods than sony does PSP's because there is just a broader market for the iPods.

The ipod, can't play games (other than someone managed to port DOOM I to the system....so go figure)

Actually someone ported a linux distro to the iPod and remapped the keys for doom and installed it that way.
Last I checked, Video iPod cannot support iPod linux.
I have an iPod nano and a PSP. Personally, I use the nano daily. 4gigs is more than enough for music (I have 3 gigs and use 1 gig for a portable HD).
The psp, I use maybe 3 days a week. I have a 256mb mem stick for movies (and some homebrew, but we won't discuss that here), 6 games or so and family guy volume 1. The battery life isn't *that* bad. I turned brightness down to the lowest setting and used headphones and watched the entire first volume of family guy in 2 charges.
Currently, to get the same storage, you'd need between 10 and 30 2gb Memory sticks, depending on your flavor of iPod.
Now, with the compression rates for the psp videos, you can cram hours onto a mem stick. With my 256mb memstick, I have all my save games, 10 songs or so and a full 2 hour movie.

One thing with the PSP, if you're into open source/homebrew development, Sony is constantly trying to kill it.

Also, iPods HD do wear out. And the battery costs $65 to replace.

All in all, if you want games, get a psp. If you want video with (tiny) built in speakers, get a psp or a DS. If you want massive amounts of music and movies on a tiny screen, get the video ipod. (Yes, I do know the increased size there.)
...there's also a 1gb ipod nano for $150 I saw in a microcenter ad. I dunno how reliable it is though

Its hard to choose one over the other. i like the psp because it got more stuff like gmaes, movies, music, and wireless internet. but a psp cant really fit in your pocket like an ipod does. but then again, a psp is not supposed to fit your pocket. hmmm..... psp. :lol: