xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
psychiccyberfreak

How To Switch From Windows To Linux Get that peice of **** off your computer

Switching from Windows to Linux

wiping away the evil simplified by psychiccyberfreak AKA B.J.

Ok, so in here, we will cover ALOT of things.

Linux is a command based OS with HUGE possibilities. In this tutorial, we will cover things that will get you familiarized with linux, seince you are switching from windows. It's ok, you can still have a window system. It's pretty much downhill from there. The best part is that it's free.

:::::::::::Table of Contents::::::::::::::::::::::

:: 1. Is it right for you? ::

:: 2. Why bother? ::

:: 3. Step 1: getting a distribution ::

:: 4. Step 2: getting a Window environment ::

:: 5. Step 3: getting program replacements ::

:: 6. Step 4: Bringing over your old files ::

:: 7. Getting used to your new OS ::

:: 8. Oh no! I can't find drivers for my ??? ! ::

:: 9. End notes ::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::1: Is it right for you?:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

If you have a slow running computer with windows, yes.

If you are tired of having to buy software, yes.

If you want a cool new look, yes. If your computer is really screwed up, yes.

If you have problems with 'the blue screen of death', yes.

If you are a developer, HELL YEAH!!!

If you have a HUGE number of apps and hate the start menu, yes.

etc.

Basically, if you have problems with windows, get it. If you are secure, and bug free, skip it (for now anyways... lol)

Ok? ok.

:: 2. Why bother? ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

You may want to skip this part...

Ok, so basically, it's alot more stable then windows. Then again, isen't everything?

No patches. Simpilly upgrade the OS, for FREE. Most of the programs are free or under the GNU licence. It in my oppinion runs smoother on computers. It supports almost every processor imaginable. Basically, Get it.

::3. Step1: getting a distribution::::::::::::::::::::::

There are a huge number of distributions. Get a free one. The most popular are:

Debian

Gentoo

Lindows

Lycoris

Mandrake

Red Hat

Slackware

SuSE

Xandros

Some are easyer than others to setup, I reccomend Slackware.

Instalation varies, so check on the support site for details. DO NOT INSTALL UNTILL YOU HAVE FINNISHED THIS TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!!

::4. Step 2: Getting a window environment::::::::::::::

Some distros come with something like KDE. These are the ones that are most popular.

Xwindow

KDE

I would reccomend KDE. It's the one I use. Installation of this varies, if you have only one computer, this may be tough. See your distro's manual for info.

::5. Step 3: Getting Program Replacements:::::::::::::::

Ok, make a list of the programs you NEED. Then download the replacements. I reccomend linux.softpedia.com for this. Remember- you can get emulators for win32 programs which will run most programs. (ex: wine, dosbox, etc.) So if you have GNU programs, you WILL find linux distros for them. If not, build it with linux! Here is just some stuff on my list:

1. Trillan ----> kopete

2. Gimp 2.2 --> Gimp 2.2

3. ZipGenius -> ZipAnywere

::6. Step 4: Bringing over your old files:::::::::::::::::::

Find the stuff that you want to keep and put it on a flash drive, or a CD/DVD. Floppy???(lol) If you have a bunch of word files, save them as a different format that will work in linux, depending on your programs. (ex: open a word doc with abiword freeware edition, save as a abiword file, then open it and convert it in Kword.) You can open .ppt in Kpresenter, do some research.

::7. Getting used to your new OS:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ok, so now you're done. It's easy with KDE. You have the big K icon for your start menu. Get used to the new programs and OS. There is no worse situation where you are typing up something and you can't print it. When in doubt, read the manual for your distro!

::8. Oh no! I can't find drivers for my Whatever!!!::::::::

Don't panic. This is a common problem. It happened to me when I had to get a new Wi-fi card for my laptop. Look around online. Still nothing? contact the hardware company and ask around. If not, get a major brand. For wi-fi, (this is a huge problem) get 'wi-fi manager'. I think it comes with slackware. I don't know. It's for KDE. So if you don't have KDE, consider a switch...

::9. End notes:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

If you want to get a new program, I recomend linux.softpedia.com. They have a nice selecton of programs from many publishers, most under the GNU licence.

There are linux support forums everywhere. Go find it.

KDE is great, it comes with a great programs suite, runs smoothly, and has great functionality. It's 'start' menu clone is actually sorted by topic! YAY! Now you don't have to sift through a sea of programs. Plus, most programs on linus are good quality.

There are viruses for linux!!! Get antivirus programs RIGHT AWAY!!! Also, get a FIREWALL, and SPYWARE PROTECTION.

You can put this on your site, as long as you let me know via E-MAIL ONLY! You also need to mention me and my site in the end or something. My e-mail is bj[at]psychdesigns[dot]net

my site is http://www.hflw.org/, and you can put 'psychiccyberfreak AKA B.J.' as my name.

This was all put togeter on what I did to my super slow laptop that took 10 mnuites to boot every time! So have fun with linux. I helped so many people this way.

Remember: EVERY DISTRO IS DIFFERENT!!! so get a manual right away!

Good luck and have fun!!!

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Since no one approved this AND it's not an actual tutorial with step by step guide, I'm moving this to spam for safe deletion later.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Hey psychiccyberfreak i like people who likie Linix and like the open source revolution! I my self am a user of Ubantu Linux! :ph34r: But hey! You havent mensioned ubantu in your list of linux Os's? :blink: I mean come on ubantu is the best Linux Os to come out and it even ships you the free cd'd for free!anyone who's finding it difficult to get the linux sotware goto "shipti.ubantu.com" or if that doesn't work try dearching for shipit ubantu on google!

Mhh I use Linux now for years and sure you did put some time in this but its kinda short on info and mostly based on persanal likings.I say that because you only talk about KDE and say its the most populair?? wtf are you talking about comes in my mind when I see that. How about Gnome??, Fluxbox??, Xfce?? and so on and so on.Where is the info about where to look for drivers or look for info about it?? You talk about spyware and viruses that run on linux but you dont provide any info about it. LIke what spyware? Give some examples since I never seen spyware on my linuxbox. Viruses?? where and when will they install and what will they do?Kopette = Trillian?? oke and what about Gaim??? You dont provide any info about Linux or its installation at all only give us your persenal opinion about it and give info that is not clear nor complete.Like some questions I would have when I am new into linux:Why cant I use .exe or how can I run them?Where is the defragmentate option?What is .deb .rpm .tar.gz .tar.bz?? and how do they work?What is a kernel and how does it work??What is CLI ??Where can I find it??Can I try it without having to install it??How do I confire the internet??How can I make my nvidia or ati card wotk with 3D??Hell I cant see my windows partition at all?? How do I set it so it shows in my filemanager??How can I set a duall lboot system??How about architectures like x86? ppc?? what are they??And so on and so on.....I miss allot of info herebtw..Mandrake = Madriva allready for some time nowRed Hat = Fedora-core (Red Hat still exists but for homeusers its Fedora)

I consider this some type of tutorial, really shallow one, but not spam. He does have some good tips and points.As for wireless, you can use the ndiswrapper to install Windows wireless drivers into Unix based/inspired operating systems.xboxrulz