xisto Community
yoble

*opinion* - Pdaphone Or Separate is it better to have them in one or not?

just pondering - whats your opinion on having a PDA and a phone? do you have it in one, or two separete devices?is one big device better? or two smaller devices.....i personnally have a Treo 600 which is a PDA/phone but it is rather big...

Notice from mayank:
Removed extra * from the post..make sure that you dont use them frequently.
Edited by mayank (see edit history)

I decided to go with Samsung SP-I500 last year. I wish I had waited however. SP-I500 is powered by Palm OS and although it is convenient, it is bit archaic. Sp-I600 is powered by Windows CE 2003 and offers PocketPC equivalent power when it comes to launching software. But it does not provide with touch pad.Both sizes are no bigger than the old model StarTAC, which I loved it for very long time. And compare to Treo it's certainly smaller than that. And it does not cry out, "I'm a geek with cool toys." :)The question I ask these days is that did I really had to pay $400 for the phone? I realized that the initial idea was very good that I can take PDA software and phone with me in one device. But as I move through life, I noticed that I'm only using less than fraction of what my phone is offering. The only Palm software I get to use is to do my expense reports (Pocket Quicken) and synchronize with my desktop when I get home. That's awfully a lot for a one additional function to be added to my phone, isn't it? Sure I can browse the web and instant message or even control few functions on my desktop remotely. But I lived just fine before I500 came along. It seems as though I became in habit of using it just because it was there. So, now I'm a firm believer in purchasing a device specifically designed for a specific task. When I need to make a phone call, I need a phone. When I need to jot down a note I need a PDA. I do not need phone/PDA to do one of those tasks.There is a perspective of carrying two devices verses a single device because I'll never know when I would need them both. But am I bought into that mentality because I truly feel that way, or because the television commercial and the world is telling me carrying around a device that is sized of a notepad is certainly cooler than carrying two smaller devices...?The jury is still out on that one.