xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kservice

2 Computers On Same Router, By Different Speed

I have two computers on the same router. My Comcast advertise a max of 6 mbps. On testing one of my computers I get 5.5 mbps. On my other computer I only get 4.6 mbps. I am using the on board NICs for both computers. I got these numbers based on several runs on several days. One motherboard is Asus P4T533-c with a built-in Intel pro-100 ve NIC. (5.5 mbps) The other motherboard is GA-8IHXP 3.0 with a built-in Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. (4.6 mbps) Does anyone have any idea why one computer is faster than the other? I used nyc.speakeasy.net to test the computers. The faster computer is connected to a 50 ft cat 6 cable to the routher. If anything I would think the computer running with a 3 ft cable should be faster. Something has changed, but I don't have a clue to what. I am pretty sure the speeds us to be equal. Any ideas? Could upgrading the router flash cause a problem? Any software to fully test the NICs? Best regards, andrescasta

You're right, the longer the cable, the longer it takes for the data to get there. The NICs use different chipsets, so that has a processing factor. The computers aren't identical, so there is that factor. The quality of the cables may even factor in some, the distance can factor in, EMI can factor in, etc. Depending on hardware configuration and the negotiation of each NIC, the best you could do is set both NICs to 100/full duplex in the NIC properties, then run the test. That will tell you the best possible performance you'll get from either NIC. Just because they're both 10/100 NICs doesn't mean they both operate at the same level.kservice

Humm... so let's see, andrescasta signs off but the forum name is kservice. And kservice replies to the reply supposedly towards andrescasta. Upon further examination, andrescasta and kservice share the same IP. So my questions are why have you cheated Xisto and who's account should be terminated?

Humm... so let's see, andrescasta signs off but the forum name is kservice. And kservice replies to the reply supposedly towards andrescasta. Upon further examination, andrescasta and kservice share the same IP. So my questions are why have you cheated Xisto and who's account should be terminated?

208982[/snapback]

Perhaps it is easier to talk back and forth with yourself then talk to other people.