xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CroSpartacus

Leaving Your Computer On Does it harm your computer?

I was wondering if leaving your computer turned on 24/7 such as leaving it on when you go to sleep will harm your computer? I heard some people say that leaving the computer on for a long period of time without shutting down the system will harm your computer. Is this true?

Well I dont think that it will harm you computer beacuse it cant overheat but the memory can crash sometimes beacuse it cant keep all the saved information under that period so you shuld at least restart the computer 2 times on 24h. This is only what I think and Im not sure but I have never heard that a computer has complete crashed beacuse of holding it 24/h. A computer is almost as a server the diffrences is that the computer has much more components and hardware.If you want to continue keep it on 24/7 then also remeber to shut down the screen. B)

I was wondering if leaving your computer turned on 24/7 such as leaving it on when you go to sleep will harm your computer?  I heard some people say that leaving the computer on for a long period of time without shutting down the system will harm your computer.  Is this true?

207566[/snapback]

personally, i have done nothing but leave my computer on ALMOST 24/7 since i've owned a computer(around 1984). i have never had a problem other than the fact a fan went out, then my motherboard caught on fire. now wether that had to do with leaving my computer on for so long or just a defect on my ibm noo name compatable i bought from a friend who sold them brand new, i don't know. it was under warrantee and got fixed, but if i wasn't home at the time to smell the smoke, god only knows what would have happened.

i believe it had to do with a defective power supply or fan because since then, i begas to leave my comptuer on almost 24/7 and i have yet to have a problem for 10 years.

there must be a reason why you asked this question though. a specific purpose maybe? are you planning on starting your own web hosting service, etc...? if you can tell us why and be more specific, maybe one can help more

my only reason for leaving my computer on for days at a time is that i am lazy and hate to reboot and shut down all the time.

the only thing i can say now other than what i have already said is that leaing ANYTHING on for ANY period of time will cause wear and tear. the more wear and tear you put on something, the sooner you will have to replace it. this should always be considered when you leave something on continuously.

me, i will always leave my computer on almost 24/7 because i can get alot done in the 30 seconds it takes to boot and shut down my comptuer B)

-aaron

Well I like to download music and video files and sometimes it takes longer surfing the internet while I am downloading something. So I like to leave my computer on at night so it can download music files from a friends FTP, but was just curious if leaving the computer on all night might cause a problem with the system.