xisto Community
Cool_Freaker

Firefox How could you refuse?

I believe that is quite an ingenius thing, as some people would gladly convert IE users to Firefox for free just because they love it so. The only problem I have with the program is that you must have an AdSense account, and Google doesn't allow people under 18, like myself, to acquire AdSense accounts.

firefox is 1 of those things that makes the internet greatfree open exchange but eventually someone will come along with a firefox clone that costs money and find someway to make money off it.

Okay but because IE looks great and runs great it presents a security risk, maybe not in the former, but definatly in the latter. The reason Firefox (everyone says) is more secure is simply because it is a far inferior browser, (that means worse then IE) it doesn't understand advanced JS calls, Several HTML exploits and AciveX one of the biggest security flaws in IE, and because IE is by all accounts more powerful there is more code to find holes in thus resulting in not only a less stable experience, but also a less secure one.

I don't know... I'm in IE right now and I don't mind it. But I also like Firefox for different reasons. One thing I wish would be for Microsoft to just start playing nice with the rest of the world and make a browser that can work with all the complience standards that the rest of the major browsers have switched to.Okay, this could just be the web developer in me coming out again, but I like to design my sites so that they are good in all browsers, and preferably consistant... but since IE doesn't like to follow the rest of the browsers, I end up having to spend all this extra time on making the site look consistant.Still, I think it's a brilliant move to get people over to firefox. I might look into it more tomorrow. It sounds very interesting. And possibly another avenue to bring in some extra income. Leave it to Google to come up with some pretty crazy and profitable ideas. They seem to be always one step ahead in the game.

1. You get 1 dollar

2. Another person is using Firefox

3. Bill Gates loses marketshare

4. An angel gets their wings

http://explorerdestroyer.com/

207219[/snapback]

Using a product just for the sake of making Infamous Bill losing bucks and market shares seems to me a bit confusing. You just don't use a product against somebody's grip on the market. I know of no boycotting move that has convincingly been working in the past.

Actually, I do prefer using Firefox, rather than IE, despite its little-known shortcomings (like using a lot of memory), but IE sits here to stay a while and I can use it without a qualm if it is necessary.

The problem is not to build up a mob of Firefox or IE churchgoers, challenging each others. The real question is to get mature and safe products to do the job we want to do. It is a fact that Microsoft does not meet this expectation most of the time, but what's the alternative, right now? I'm not sure the solution is to be found in a particular brand, e.g. MS vs Mac or whatever. Rather, I find it most interesting that a lot of money is invested these days to challenge Microsoft's virtual monopoly on SW products, the kind of which you can find in the Open Source directions.

For those of you who still don't know it, you can get a beautiful suite combining Open Source equivalents to Word, Excel and Power Point if you simply connect to "download Open Office" on Google. 99+% compatible with MS Office, licence-free, no cheating or pirating and the satisfaction to get products that are thoroughly tested before venting them out market side. And a clear project behind to follow up the *darn" thing in its progress.

So, to me the point is not what churchgoers think about their divinities, rather get some efficiency in delivering usable and reliable products to the users' community. Should Infamous Bill win the hand, so be it, I don't care. I simply think there far too many smart people around to let this happen much longer. In other words, I'll grab any reliable product to do the job I have to do, but it would be so much simpler to get organized and exchange factual experiences about what everyone of us knows... That would probably be the only sensible way to put some common sense to evaluating the tools we use, right ?

Well I wouldent aplly for that beacuse I like Internet Explorer and I dont want to change my browser. But about the security, no browser is 100% secure so there is no idea to change browser for security reasons. Thats what I think. And If you think one browser is faster than one other, I dont think that the Internet Connection has some affect on the Internet Browser.

The reason Firefox (everyone says) is more secure is simply because it is a far inferior browser, (that means worse then IE) it doesn't understand advanced JS calls, Several HTML exploits and AciveX one of the biggest security flaws in IE, and because IE is by all accounts more powerful there is more code to find holes in thus resulting in not only a less stable experience, but also a less secure one.

Firefox is more secure cos it's inferior? Firefox doesn't understand JS calls? And IE is more powerful? B):):P

Firefox doen't understand all JS calls that IE does. Calls that MS has put in for their own reasons, FireFox doesn't understand them, and because of this is less feature rich, which leaves less room for error and flaw induction in the code. Of corse IE is more powerful, AciveX is just one example of a power ie has that FireFox doesn't have, yet we all know that ActiveX can be a carrier of viruses, kinda like mice (the furry ones that is), great for use in a lab to help cure cancer (sorry if you feel animal testing is wrong) but they still can spread disease, and infections.

QUOTE(moldboy @ Nov 25 2005, 09:07 AM)Firefox doen't understand all JS calls that IE does.

Where are you getting this from? Both IE6 & FF support DOM Level 1.

You mean to tell me that you have never came accross a javascript page that simply won't work in FireFox?

You mean to tell me that you have never came accross a javascript page that simply won't work in FireFox?

That's right. And just because a page doesn't work doesn't mean it's the browser's fault. You can't base your assertion on the fact that a few sites you've visited don't work properly. It's more than likely due to developer error.