xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
foo

Google Base New Google gadget - you upload thru them

Google Base is a place where you can add all types of information that Google will host and make searchable online.

You can describe any item you post with attributes, which will help people find it when they search Google Base.

In fact, based on the relevance of your items, they may also be included in the main Google search index and other Google products like Froogle and Google Local.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This looks like it is in beta and was just recently announced.

In a nutshell, it strikes me as a fascinating but flawed attempt to get users to help Google by providing the company with information, rather than having the company's search engine spiders trawl for it.

Google Base breaks the pattern of other recent product releases from the company. It's not a straightforward information service, like Google Maps or Gmail; rather, it's a way for the company to obtain whatever information users want to provide. Furthermore, unlike those other Google products, which were clearly better than existing offerings, Google Base seems to be a solution in need of a problem, at least from the user's point of view. I think it's unlikely that people will respond to it they way they have to other offerings from Google.

The purpose of Google Base, launched on November 16, is to allow registered Google users to upload any kind of information they like to the company's servers, where it will be available for other registered users to search. Baby photos, recipes, used car ads, doctoral theses -- whatever you want others to find, you can upload into Google Base.

foo

Looks pretty neat. They even allow you to upload an immage that will be displayed when some one searches. I have got any time to try this out, but I will probably later.

THis is cool. Google keeps coming out with different things that you would never think of. They just amaze me. I wonder what things do they have instore for the future. Maybe a free laptop for me. lol. Jk. This Google base thing will allow me to advertise my site. Isn't that cool. Get more hits to my site.

Now THAT is really really cool!! I'll be using that a lot now... Thanks a lot for the link and for letting us all know about this awesome google feature!!

Thanks a lot!!!!!

google base when combined with the recently launched google checkout and froogle will help google become an ecommerce powerhouse challenging the likes of ebay. The problem right now is that ebay has become so popular and it will take time for google to build its brand. But with the quality products that google has, its only a matter of time before we see people using google base for their online commercial activities. google checkout is another nice product that takes on paypal. competition is always good for the consumer. so lets give three cheers to google.

google base (in combination with froogle too) is pretty neat, I wouldn't necessary call it a threat to craig's list but it still is a great shopping and/or selling tool. I've been using it for a while and I really like it as you can probably tell for my description lol so yeah, go check it out if you haven't yet!