xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
timmattl

Sata Hard Drive Not Recognized By Windows WD 250gb SATA hard drive not working

Hi there!I recently re-installed windows on my 250 gb WD SATA hard drive. I had a 50 gb windows partition and the rest for files. First thing that happened was my system partition wouldn't boot and eventually chkdsk said that the mbr was unrecoverable. A friend recommended that i use a seperate parallel hard drive to load windows and then convert the disk to dynamic in disk management. I did this, but the computer crashed and now windows won't even load with the SATA hard drive connected. The BIOS sees the SATA hdd, but that's as far as I can get. I tried to install windows on the SATA hdd, but the setup won't finish loading with the SATA hdd connected. So, i figure my data is unrecoverable, but why can't I repartition the hdd? By the way, the WD tools boot disks won't load with the SATA hdd connected. I also tried using "PC inspector smart recovery" to no avail.Can anyone give me some advice to what the problem is or how I can fix it? It would be much appreciated!

Well, I got the Western Digital Data Life Guard Tools to boot from a floppy, i tried to "write zeros to the drive", and even that failed with a message that said to call technical support. I called and western digital will ship me a new drive for free. But thanks for the help.Matt

i can

Sata Hard Drive Not Recognized By Windows

I can't install windows xp proffessional. The setup showing there is no harddisk. My harddidk is sata. No floppy drive. How can I install xp? pls help me

Download Damn Small Linux, which is only 50 mb, copy the ISO to a CD, boot with it and see if it find your hard drive. However, I think this may be a problem with your BIOS, either the hardware itself or bad settings, but still, try that first.

Download Damn Small Linux, which is only 50 mb, copy the ISO to a CD, boot with it and see if it find your hard drive. However, I think this may be a problem with your BIOS, either the hardware itself or bad settings, but still, try that first.

Well, then again, the poor guy(girl?) doesn't have a computer to use. Unless there's an old one he(she)'s using. But yes, download a copy of Linux (either DSL or Ubuntu) and try to run that. If it works, stick with it. Windows costs $200 anyway. Return that copy to them and shove it in their faces with a look on your face that says, "I don't need this, retards*! I've got Linux!"

*Just kidding. You might get sued for that. And by "retards" I mean "people behind on computer development".

Okay, what... this topic is 4 years old! This reply is outdated.

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

my sata harddisk is nnot detected during linux installation.

Sata Hard Drive Not Recognized By Windows

First of all check in the BIOS setting that the harddisk is detected, if it is detected do the following

Boot from the linux cd at the installation prompt just type the following code:

#linux pci=nommconf irqpoll all-generic-ide

Friends Please try this and mail comments regarding this.K

-reply by Sandeep S

Sata drive wont showSata Hard Drive Not Recognized By WindowsThe Sata drives is recognized in the bio and is active. I am booting up with an IDE drive because the SATA drive's windows seems to be corrupt because windows will not load.Any suggestions on how to get this drive to show up in My Computer, I am praying it is not corrupt but I am prepared for the worst.Thanks-reply by imlerrm

previously xp did not support sata hard disk  ...So u have to use a floppy disk for supply additional sata driver provided by mother board manufacturer...U can use f6 key at loading time to specify sata drivers...If u don't have floppy disk, enquire about xp later editions ,which supports sata drivers...I heard so there is some xp versions that supports sata as boot disk

-reply by serji

sata harddrive not detected when installing xp and i have no floppy driveSata Hard Drive Not Recognized By Windows

This issue will become more and more apparent as everything migrates to SATA from IDE. First, open your computer case and check to see if you have a IDE or a SATA dvd/rw drive. If its IDE your ok , If its SATA go to bestbuy or walmart and purchase a USB dvd/rw drive ( you can take it back when your done) Once you have your usb drive connected insert your windows xp cd into it. Next, go into your BIOS and find your SATA Harddrive configuration change that to either ATA or Legacy (make sure you save your changes) Reboot and you should be good to go.

-Ballzdeep

-reply by steven

SATA hell takes me back to the good ol' days of DOS 2.1 and DOS Hell. Every piece of hardware had to load a driver and IRQ conflicts were SOP. Installing SATA on a lmotherboard that has no SATA ports really sucks. Vendor and OEM support is non-existant and thanks to "pre-loaded OS's" there are no boot CDs if you buy from the biggies like HP, Dell, Acer, etc.

In the end SATA is a case of Forward to the past. OK, having said all of that, what is a solution to XP not formating a SATA drive? My solution was to stick in my main system which has SATA ports galore and Vista Business. I formateda SATA drive that way then re-installed it and used Data Guard to copy files across. In a month or 2, I'll try and configure this 320GB drive as the system drive. Vista is being flogged off cheap at the moment so I may just upgrade the OS to cope with SATA.

-reply by Yadnarie