xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lecius

Connection Problem Please help

Well I have a linksys router and have cable internet. Sometimes my internet goes out and I almost always have a sucky connection. It was not always like this, it just started happening.What I did to try to fix it:I have a wireless router so I can try many things. I redid the software and it still did not work. I connected to other wireless connections and got better connections and they are farther away. I undid the wireless and redid it and it still did not work.I connected the cord to my computer and it was working better for awile and then it started just disconnecting and reconnecting and I am in the game business so I can't really have that.If you have any idea what is wrong PLEASE tell me.

I assume taht you use Windows 2000 or XP. To see if your network connectio is bad, go to Start -> Run, type cmd, and hit enter. ?In the command window, type ipcongig /all. You will see someting like the following:

CONSOLE
Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : A1010Y-M Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : NoEthernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter #3 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-17-7D-AD-0C Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.237.161.12 71.242.0.12 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 15, 2005 7:36:36 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 16, 2005 7:36:36 PM
You should see 192.168.1.1 for the default gateway. If you see that, that means you either have lots of interference around you (try changing to channel 1 or 11 if you are on 6) or or your internet connection is bad.Note: these are only suggestions. I am not an expert on this stuff, I just know from experience (by the way, I also have Linksys router, and they are really good).

If Q46's suggestion did not work (which by the way is great), you may also try using your router in a friends connection just to compare, this is just for isolation purposes, it would be better for you will know where really the problem is.Let us know any result

it seems your wireless rounter is fine, do you tested you network card works or not, since you have tested all other things, my suggestion is try replace it and connect to the internet to see if it works.- hope this help

Two points:A) the command is ipconfig (I probably was typing too fast):lol: Call me Michael. I got the avatar from BUsTalk.Net (I have the same user name and avatar there), but don't want to make it into a title. I will change my avatar tonight.

Currently you cannot determine if it's your wireless router's fault, your broadband modem's fault, or your internet connection's fault.

I would suggest the following to scaledown towards rectifying where the fault lies..

Finding if its Wireless Router's fault

1) Disconnect the wiring cables between your computer and the wireless router

2) Reconnect the cable from your computer to the modem directly

3) Connect to the internet using the software provided by your ISP or manually

This method bypasses the connection to your wireless router. It connects directly to your modem and to the internet, making sure you are the only user in the connection.

If the internet connection still fails, the fault could lie with the modem or your telephone line or cable line.

If it's working perfectly already, then the problem lies with your wireless router. The settings on the wireless router could have been badly configured, or it's physically damaged. Make sure its properly configured, otherwise get a new wireless router.

Finding if its broadband modem's fault

1) Disconnect all wiring cables from your computer to wireless router and modem

2) Enquire your ISP or a friend for a loan of a broadband modem (cable/ADSL according to your subscription) to test the network

3) Reconnect the cable from your computer directly to the loaned broadband modem

4) Follow according to the settings of the loan broadband modem if required

5) Connect to the internet using the software provided by your ISP or manually

This method is using a another modem to connect to the internet.

If the problem persisted, it could have been your cable/telephone line problem. You would have to call up your ISP then.

If it's working perfectly, the fault lies with your broadband modem. Get a new broadband modem. Remember the type modem (calbe/ADSL) you will be getting, and return the loaned modem :)

Other Alternatives

a) You may have to check if the cable's are working fine, make sure they are not twisted or placed near any power sources or power cables

:P Check if there is a problem with your network adapter for hardware damages. Ethernet card should be checked if it's a wired connection, wireless adapter should be checed if it's a wireless connection.

My Suggestions

I had my wireless router starting to drop packets and frequently getting ping timeouts. After afew researching and experimenting, I realised that it's due to the long hours of usage to both the wireless router and the wireless adapter. These wireless devices cannot and will function abnormally when the presence of heat is high. I would recommend that you turn off your wireless router for every 6 hours of usage. Even though it still works after 6 hours, it problem might come sooner or later. That's a way to protect and maintain my wireless router and adapter..

Get on going...! :lol:

I'm having similar troubles and have in the past. The solution has almost never been the networking card or router, but almost always some sort of weird driver error.my connection appears to slow to a disconnect slowly over the course of several hours. If I download any data, this causes the problem to worsen immediately proportionate to how much data I receive. Running AIM, using firefox, and letting avast update, gets me 6-8 hours until disconnect, but turning on P2P software disconnects me immediately in about half of all cases. Clearing Cache and Private Data seem to give me a temporary reprieve.-AxDeath