xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DogEater008

Restoring Backup Files?

hey, guys i have a quick question. If i'm planning on to restart my account and lose everything, but i made a backup of my FTP and SQL. If i reupload the FTP back to the way it was, will i get my site (forum, portal, gallery, etc) back the way it was without reinstalling the forum, portal, gallery, etc?Or do i have to start everything over again. =P

I've tried that once on a totally different web host. It didn't work. I believe that if you want to start everything over, you would have to backup your SQL and FTP files.If you want to back up your files, go to phpmyadmin in your control panel and back up all of the MySQL files. (or only the ones you need.)Then wipe your slate clean , start over , upload everything again , go to phpmyadmin again and upload your MySQL files. I THINK might need to run some installers again, but I'm not really sure.

oh.. i though you go to mySQLdatabase to download your backup files. Oh well, i guess i will have to backup everything and start over from scrap. I spent so much time on it too =(. Well, if any of you guys know a way to do this that does not require me to reinstall everything over again, please share it here. .

as you said,i'm ever do the samething,--to restore a forum.details about this restoring:1.i'm using ipb1.3 forum project2.i download a backup files from phpmyadmin (guangdian_ipb mysql data)3.i reinstalled the ipb1.3 final with a different mysql name guangdian_ipb1,then deleted all tables of this mysql,upload the backup .sql file to the database,4.the forum got error,failed.5.i changed to resintalled the ipb again with the same username as before(guangdian_ipb)then deleted tables,runs the bak .sql file to it,6.It works!and the same forum data as before,(bak file's)7.i just use this two ways to try if i can needn't reinstall but upload the ftp files,then use the same or unsame database,then deleted and runs the bak .sql 8.failed.guangdian

To backup your forum board is quite easy actually , in your forum administration panel there should be a "back up database" option you ofcourse download it . Now on your new account install the same board and then go to your forum admistration panel and then "restore database" which will give you all your old users/post/threads back , note: do not upload your old forum folder , just install a fresh copy then restore the database . If you don't see an option in the forum admincp to restore the database , you can easily do it from phpmyadmin , hope this help's :)