xisto Community
kservice

Desktop Vs Laptop the ultimate debates

I'd get a tablet PC (kind of like a convertable laptop), since I don't like the bulky desktop, but I don't like the featureless laptop. Especially because in Canada, it's hard to get a decent, recent laptop for only $850 (CANADIAN).One of the easy places to get tablet PC's is on eBay, but you really can't trust the person who's advertising from 5000 miles away.

basically, I choose desktop computer, coz newer motherboard will support the cpu speed much more. may be range from 1.5G to 2G or even 3G. so, for saving cost, if you buy one cpu type let said 1.5G( I think this will do the jobs best already). hereafter, the high model cpu price down, you can have a upgrade, that cpu price might be same as your 1.5G cpu. other componment same as this. and yes, you have periodically check the price and model that you wanted and that will be fit you mother. in contrast, you no chance be upgrade you laptop computer that perform better. althrought same vendor provide upgrade services, but choose is less.P.S. more important, i dont need go mobile.

I got a nice laptop a couple of years ago because I liked the idea of lugging it all over and having it with me whenever I needed it. Well, the lugging part lasted about a year before I got tired of it. And why was I lugging it to work, where I've got the company machine? During lunch hour I can use the work computer for my own projects anyway.So, though I still like my HP Pavilion, it's replacement will almost certainly be a desktop.

I would prefere to get the lapyop because you can carry it everywhere and id you have the wi-fi thing you can go on the internet. So i think that the laptop will win this overall espeacialy if your a business man!

I would use a desktop for gaming, and my laptop for school and stuff. Unless you have a really nice laptop, which I don't have, you can't play games really. I was planning on upgrading my graphics card but then I figured out they don't have upgrades for my model. That's why I use my bro's computer. Other than that I use my laptop all the time, like now. I bring it to school with me for notes, and to use the internet in spare time. :P

I am considering buy a new computer. However I really can't decide which one to get a laptop or a desktop. Its really is a tossup for me. I am currently a junior in HS and it would be nice to get a laptop due to the fact i have two programming classes and it would be nice to use my laptop instead of the schools crappy computers. However would the desktop in the long run be cheaper considering i could upgrade it? I was also looking at http://www.ibuypower.com/ and it seems to me you cant get any graphics card bigger than 128 in a laptop ? why is this is the 256 just two thick? So the nice thing about the desktop I guess is that i could upgrade it more as well as a better graphics card but then again the portability is nice of a laptop. For those of you in college what do you have? Do you find a laptop is nicer and more convenient considering you can take it to classes? Any comments would be great. Thx

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Merged with topic already in discussion. Next time you make a topic without searching, a warning will be issued.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Well it really depends how often you would use the laptop in you classes. If you want to upgrade your computer I would buy a desktop. Laptops aren't really meant to be upgraded. If you plan on using your computer at school well then yes purchase a laptop but if you aren't going to use it much there is really no point. I personally have a laptop and I am in high school and I bring it to take notes and all and it's very helpful. Desktops are good for playing games and stuff. If you want a good graphics card for your laptop you might want to buy an expensive one that has one so you don't have to upgrade. It's really up to what you are going to use your computer for. Good Luck!

just keep in mind that desktops nowadays is pretty fast in integrating new technologies, so if you will buy desktop get one with at least the latest features supported ie, PCI Express, 64-bit processors, DDRII capable, SATAII support, etc.Laptop can also be easily upgraded too albeit in a much higher cost.

I prefer desktops over laptops. Mainly because they can be easily upgraded. Laptops are good for people who are always on-the-go. But I myself have a desktop and laptop in my room and the laptop is what i always use. I use the desktop as a server. B)

I think that buying a laptop or a desktop not depends on how mush you can spend. I think it only depends on what you want your computer to do.

Many of my friends buy their laptop instead of a desktop because there was some discount in the school. However, the fact is that, they treat their laptop as a desktop. They don't bring the laptop out and they even don't move the laptop.

Actually, in their situation, a desktop is more suitable for them. If they use the same money to buy a desktop, the config of that computer must be better than that of the laptop. So, why choose the laptop.

Of course, if you need to do presentation, you need to bring it out, you don't need to think. You don't have the choice, although you may think the laptop is expensive.

Well, obviously in performance, the desktop wins, but i asking about in the near future if you have U$S850 in your hands, What do you prefer a Desktop , or a Laptop......

Before you answer consider this things

Laptop Advanteges:

-You could carry it everywhere and with a wi-fi enabled laptop you are connected everywhere too.

- Today's laptop are more powerful than in the past, you have very good video board and high clock processors and a lot of memory.

-Instead of buy a DvD-player, the laptop also give you the capability of burn a dvd

........etc

Desktop Advantages:

-At the same price you could buy better harware.

-With a powerful desktop you could play all games.

So, Tell me What do you prefer and  if you want tell me with what chipset.

Kservice

173680[/snapback]

Well, obviously in performance, the desktop wins, but i asking about in the near future if you have U$S850 in your hands, What do you prefer a Desktop , or a Laptop......

Before you answer consider this things

Laptop Advanteges:

-You could carry it everywhere and with a wi-fi enabled laptop you are connected everywhere too.

- Today's laptop are more powerful than in the past, you have very good video board and high clock processors and a lot of memory.

-Instead of buy a DvD-player, the laptop also give you the capability of burn a dvd

........etc

Desktop Advantages:

-At the same price you could buy better harware.

-With a powerful desktop you could play all games.

So, Tell me What do you prefer and  if you want tell me with what chipset.

Kservice

173680[/snapback]

short answer

laptops/notebooks ar good for travelling and office wouk so good if u ar on the go all the time

desktop

better rfor gameing can get crazy upgrades usefull if you ar not on the go all the time oh and cheaper (get more for your money)

since you're posting here I assume that you already have got a PC at home, probably a desktop system.Here's what I've done: While I've been at school, I did not need a laptop since I've already had my desktop system and actually, my bank account usually didn't allow me to buy a laptop. Since I'm at university I'm able to afford a laptop and it's pretty nice to have a desktop "server" [AMD Athlon 1800+; 512MB RAM; 255GB HDD; 64MB geForce 4200Ti; DVD-recorder; Gigabit-LAN / compiled from my friends' spare parts and cost me about 100 Euros] at home and I shot a special offer laptop a month or something like that ago at 870 Euros: AMD Turion 64bit 3000+; 512MB RAM; 60GB HDD; ATI Radeon Xpress 200M (shared memory); Gigabit-LAN; WiFi; Memory Card Reader; USB2.0; FireWire...when it comes to performance, UT2004 works just as good on this laptop as on my desktop system [at least that's the impression I've had while playing it and obviously you'll have to get an external mouse instead of using the built-in touchpad-thingy if you're going to play more than the one or other game every once in a while] and it's actually more convenient to sit on the bed with the laptop to do some work than sitting in front of the desktop system.The laptops portability is another huge plus since 60GB are enough for a couple of mp3s and most other files you think you might need (and of course your school/studies/work data);one point against the laptop are the small speakers which don't reach my stereo linked to the desktop in terms of sound quality [but there's a remote control-plugin for winamp which enables you to control winamp through the network or even the internet if necessary]....my advice is: Don't go for one, get both ... but rather a laptop since they perform just as well as desktop systems combined with easy transportation...

Hmm... I have both a Desktop and a laptop, but....Desktop+ Wots of space+ You don't have to put it on your lap or anything like that, it stays put...+ You have a mouse 8D- You have to buy all the parts to it, like buy a monitor then buy a computer...and then a speaker...unless it all does together XD- It's not portiable T_TLaptop+ Portiable 8D+ Everything comes in one piece+ You can get internet acess if you hook up a wire, and if you don't like the touch mouse, then you can buy a regular mouse!-You have to BUY a regular mouse if you wanna use it T_T-You need a WIRE and a router for internet acess T_T (well, with a desktop too, but....)- it's HEAVY XDI use my desktop more often. I dunno why, I just need lots of space and everything. Plus, you can add on more stuff if you want to it. And get lots of memory to. So...DESKTOP~!