xisto Community
kservice

Desktop Vs Laptop the ultimate debates

Well, obviously in performance, the desktop wins, but i asking about in the near future if you have U$S850 in your hands, What do you prefer a Desktop , or a Laptop......Before you answer consider this thingsLaptop Advanteges:-You could carry it everywhere and with a wi-fi enabled laptop you are connected everywhere too.- Today's laptop are more powerful than in the past, you have very good video board and high clock processors and a lot of memory.-Instead of buy a DvD-player, the laptop also give you the capability of burn a dvd........etcDesktop Advantages:-At the same price you could buy better harware.-With a powerful desktop you could play all games.So, Tell me What do you prefer and if you want tell me with what chipset.Kservice

I would have to go with a laptop if I had Us$850 to spend on a new computer. The major reasons why a laptop are, 1)So I can use it at my Wi-Fi enabled school, making notes/assignments easier 2)The portability of a laptop is amazing, and 3)$850 wouldn't be too much of an improvement over my current desktop's costs, so what would be the point? My current desktop has a $100 proc (AMD Sempron 2800+), $100 dollars in RAM (1 GB DDR 333Mhz), $200 video card (6600GT), $400 in HDD (1 250GB SATA Drive $350, and 1 60GB IDE HDD~$50+), $10 wireless card $50 lights and coolingI would also love to have a laptop, as long as it has a better battery life than my sisters laptop, which has a non-functional battery which isn't under warranty anymore.

i currently have the Apple iMac G5, which is great for the most part. at times, the fan kicks in when i am using too many applications, and often automatically quits from certain programs. this happens way more then it should. i have looked on forums to see if this is happening to anyone else, and to my surprise it is. i am yet to find a way to fix it. my sister, has an Apple Powerbook, which in both her and my opinion, is great. not only does it beat my computer because it can be taken anywhere with you, but the fan never kicks in when too many programs are running. although i can only speak for Apple computers, this could be the case for any kind. overall, i think a laptop would be the better choice, because it is mobile.

I have an Apple Powerbook, and I absolutely love it. The greatest part is that you can take it with you anywhere. I don't usually have the fan problem like motionsickness mentioned, although it does occasionally occur. Also, sometimes Safari closes if I have a zillion windows open. I would highly suggest a laptop!

I do prefer LAPTOP but for US$850 i doubt if you can get much better laptop than desktop. But it also depends, how you want to use it. If it is for home use then ofcourse DESKTOP, If you want LAPTOP for the sake of LAPTOP then you know the choice.If you want to develop application then $850 laptop will not do much.....So, you are the best person to decide because it is for your USE and it is Your money that you have to spend...

Erm ... ofcouse a desktop will be better than a laptop ... dunno why ... but i feel like more comfortable using desktop while typing ... listening to music .... and i do not like the heat that is produced by the laptop -_-

1. Someone that have a desktop and U$S850 in the pocket, prefer to buy a laptop than upgrade the desktop.

2. Many are concient that today's laptops are very good performer.

I'm not agree with the guys that saids

1. "With a U$s850 laptop you couldn't develop applications",
you think that with for ex. a Pentium M 1.3GHz , 512MB RAM, etc, is not possible to use a C++ compiler, Visual Basic, PHP, etc......

i feel like more comfortable using desktop while typing ... listening to music .... and i do not like the heat that is produced by the laptop

If you want to play music with extreme volume, buy a Music PLayer with 1000 Watts PMPO, MP3 capabilities and your problem is solved.

And other question, a Desktop not produce Heat???, so why a Heat Sink of a P4 or a ATLHON XP (Desktop) is bigger than the laptop chipset heatsink??

Well, the final question is: If you haven´t a computer, (you sold it, it is broken, etc), and you have U$S 850 in your hands, What do you prefer a Desktop , or a Laptop?

kservice

Well in my case , i am selling my desktop to buy a laptop, and i took this decision for a couple of reasons:1. In my house i have a wi-fi router so i will be connected in every place.2. I am student of compuer languages, so it will be a really useful tool to me.3. I also like to play games, like C&C generals, SIMS (no so heavy like DOOM3) so with a 1.4 GHZ proccesor and 512MB ram, it's ok. Also there are Pentium 4 Or Celeron Mobile at 2.8 GHz but these chipset break the battery of the notebook because the higher power consumption than the Celeron or Penitum M.andrescasta

I will go for a Laptop still. I have been using a laptop and my experience have been very good. What Desktop can do a laptop can do everything too, atleast what I need. So why go for immobile stuffs when one can mobile with his/her laptop. The best part of laptop is wireless internet connection. Many cities in the world are now wirelessly connected to internet and laptop are becoming more and more useful this way.

to answer this question you really need to know what you are going to be using it for. if you are going to need it all over the place (home, school, work, etc) then you should get a laptop. if you are just going to have it at home and not need to take it anywhere, then get a desktop. ive got a desktop now that i am happy with at home, but next year when i go away to school ill be getting a laptop.

I own a Dell laptop and I got another desktop in another room. Laptops are generally more expensive as a whole as well as in individual parts as compared to desktop. I have to agree that desktop is the more powerful unit in terms of processing, speed and memory. Laptop however is mobile which business people and students will find it convenient to carry it along as the powers are competitive to desktop.Depending on your usage, get a laptop if you think you would need to carry it along with you and work on it wherever you are, and you don't mind the high prices for upgrades and repairs. On the other hand, get a desktop if you only do your work at home or you are on a tight budget, however, a desktop brings higher processing power than a laptop so you will probably be more efficient if you work 24hrs on it.

ok, there is one thing that it's sure, the Laptop way is more expensive, so if you have U$S850 your computer will be better if is a desktop (with a CRT display),But if you think in the future, all the things will be smaller, so i think that a Laptop is the best for people that not need , for ex: a DUAL CORE AMD 64, and want a product that mantain it's value.for U$S850 i saw a HP6005 refurbished AMD 64 3000+ ATI X200 IGP512MBDVD-RWWIFIETC..ETCkservice

Not necessarily computer wins in this duel. I've actually had chance to test two identical systems - one was pc-based system and the other was a laptop. Guess what? laptop won the duel and demostrated up to 10% of performance advantage in some games and even while video encoding. Of course it might be just a consequence but you can not say that pc is better than a loptop. The major question is what kind of laptop you try to compare to a regular pc.

I currently do have both but if I am to choose between the two then it would be notebook/laptop. I am not that into gaming so with this you can see one of my reason and the most important for me would be convenience, I can travel with my computer at my side.