xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
round

New Credit Card Cellphones anyone know the deal with

I just heard about the new credit card cellphone. Now supposedly you can use the phone as credit card. I haven't been able to find any pics of the phone online, just articles. I'm assuming it about to hit north america. Just wondering if anyone here has heard any buzz on the new phone.round

They had them on Click online not to long ago (click online is a show on BBC News) They looked very good indeed, it would mean not having to carry cash on you, at all, as they could install the readers everywhere, even the bus. They even said they could be used instead of house keys. Instead your front door scans your phone and asks for your password before allowing you in.The only downside I could see would be losing your phone, cos you'd be pretty buggered then, who knows though:)

I'm guessing that they are supposing it is much harder to forget, lose, or be robbed of a cell phone than a wallet, which may be true if you keep your cell phone in your front shirt pocket and/or are almost constantly talking on it.The only problem would be if you needed money badly and your batteries were dead or if, as you mentioned, you were robbed of your "credit card", you wouldn't even have a phone to call your bank and cancel the card with.

I'd get a little worried if, literally, my entire life was contained on a mobile phone the size of a credit card. I would continually be paranoid of losing or breaking it. I like all gadgets except mobile phones. The phone element seems to have taken a back seat to other weird functions most people wouldn't have a use for or don't need replacing.Plus, putting a mobile phone into an ATM would be a bit worrying, surely there is a risk your entire life could just get chewed into a pulp, or scanned by those fake fronts they put on the ATM.

Plus, putting a mobile phone into an ATM would be a bit worrying, surely there is a risk your entire life could just get chewed into a pulp, or scanned by those fake fronts they put on the ATM.

203165[/snapback]

The way I understood it, you wouldn't need to put it into an ATM, they have been testing it in Japan, and the way they do it, is the machine has a flat pannel, you put your phone on this, and it scans a chip in the phone for your details, the phone in front of you the whole time, you could even keep hold of it if you wanted. The one for the front door was the same, just a scanner on the wall, that you help your phone against.