xisto Community
cragllo

How Do I Overclock My Processor? Im a newbie at all this.

I have:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2300+ (2.2Ghz)

Motherboard: ASUS XSeries A7N8X-X

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

So I just want to know how to overclock my processor, possibly just via the BIOS or jumber settings, but im happy with "fiddling" with the hardware. Step by step PLEASE :P

one question....why would u want to over clock it so that you ruin it! computers were not made to destroy they were made to help everyone learn information and do different things...why would u want to over clock it...thats rediculous...

See, here is my sitiuation, Im skint, I cant afford to but a realy fast processor, but i can afford water cooling. And I play alot of hardware-demanding games. And to experience games as they should be, playing doom at 800x600 with lag is not scary at all!Is you can pirate hardware like you can softweare then... I would do that, but no. that not possible (yet, we need particle copiers :P)Anyhoo, i need as much joice as I can get to play :P

If you can't afford a new processor I wouldn't try this. I taught my friend how to overlock a processor thinking that he was going to try on one of his older computers but he did it to his new one and was out just under $1000 to replace the motherboard and the processor. Even with lots of cooling you can still fry a processor. When you overclock it becomes unstable and unpredictable. Also, if anything gets damaged by this warranties won't cover it.

there's a few ways of doing it :POne way is to fiddle with the BIOS, although this is only for professionals. It's very, very difficult unless you know what you are doing. Find a guide on the net if you want to do it this way.Your PC motherboard may have come with some software that will overclock your system for you (sounds ridiculous, hey?)Mine did, and I had it overclocked for a while... which was all well and good until it started spontaneously crashing and stuff. i really wouldn't recommend it. And you really don't get any huge speed bonuses or anything anyways.Peace out.

i posted my how-to on this. or atleast a what-is i think. use the search dude.but being a mod he should have used google or search feature.

There are number of ways in overclocking your processor, one is through hardware manipulation (closing L1 bridges, jumper settings on your board, etc..) and the other is through software (BIOS setup adjustments, third party overclocking utility and some manufacturer bundled program).

Just like what most posters have mentioned, this process is a bit risky ( and I would not recommend it too) much more if you are new to this thing, but this can be done and once you have an overclocked system you might feel better for you have accomplished something out of the ordinary, (aint it cool that you are running your system higher than what you would normally have :P but there's consequences and one of them is this mightl make your system bad and non usable).

Below is a site made specifically for overclocking, you can read some tips before performing your overclocking process and as always it is doing at your own risk.

Overclockers

Good luck!

Overclocking is not that simple.

In the specs you can find normally the FSB and the multiplier, but I can't find an Athlon XP 2300 on the amd site .

with the program http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html you can find the current settings of your proc.

The only 'safe' thing to do is place the FSB a bit higher (like 5% max 10%).
But that will not solve your problem, I think.
This can be done in the BIOS of your motherboard.

If you have money enough for watercooling,
The price for an Athlon 64 2800+ , a new motherbord and a some RAM is only a bit more but works always faster then your proc.

The computers witch are more then 20% overclocked are only for demo purpose.
Not for playing games because they are not stabele for hours.

to overclock your processor folloz these:1. Power your computer and press the F2 or Del key as the case may be to launch you into the system CMOS setup.2. Locate the page that refer to your processor speed. You will most likely see that your processor multiplier is locked and you can only overclock through maneuvering your processor frequency (the speed of your processor is the gotten by multiplying the frequency and multiplyier of the processor).Increasing the frequency increases the speed while reducing it reduces the processor's speed. take care not to do too much overclocking with your AMD processor and endeavour to check your processor's control temperature at AMD's website before you start overclocking as there will be an increase in temperature after the overclocking since overclocking increases the power production of the processor and the heat production consequently.I hope you have a very good heat dissipator (heat sink).

If you break your CPU while overclocking then you must be pretty stupid. There's an option in most BIOSes that allows it to shut down your computer after it gets past a certain temperature, so you won't have enough time to fry your computer. Maybe if you overclock by gigahertz at a time, maybe then you could be able to do something, if anything.

Overclocking in a seriously risky thing to do. The processor will heat up faster and will get a lot hotter. If your serious about this you need to get a big fan to put over the processor to keep it cool as your current fan probably isnt up to the job. Dual core processors are cheaper to obtain than they were. Just do a bit of searching and you will probably find a bargain.