xisto Community
ppffffpp

Remove Windows Messenger

To remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Note: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled.  To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT  Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.

If you have XP SP1 installed then you will get an error. Just Click okay and it will complete the uninstall. Once you restart windows messenger will be gone!

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
What's not your own words should always be quoted. Source http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm This is your only caution note.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

CAUTION!Editing your registry without following or knowing how to back-up your registry may lead to unfortunate consequences. Be warned that this forum cannot be responsible for your attempt.Additional note that this method DOES NOT UNINSTALL Windows Messenger but merely prevents the auto loading when your Outlook Express starts. The program and file itself are still present. Do not misunderstand.The safer way of doing this is, since you've installed SP1 or higher, access Set Program Access and Defaults > Custom Instant Messaging > uncheck Windows MessengerIt's that simple. Editing registry should be the last resort when simple setting like this does not work.

When it comes to the registry, if you don't know, don't touch! The registry is an essiantal part of the Operating System, and if it was damaged, and you had no backups, you would be forced to format your whole computer, at worst.

Don't do it, it messes up Windows. After removing it, if you create a new account you'll get some weird error when first logging in. Although it appears only once and doesn't have any other noticable "side-effects". It is more than possible that something else might also go wrong.I Don't under stand why people bother removing Windows Messenger and Internet Explorer because they won't bother you if you don't use them. Although Messenger does sometimes launch at startup just go to the Options menu and tell it not to and it complies. And For those wondering, IE security holes won't affect you unless you use IE.

I usually just leave it alone - it's not THAT distracting (I assume you're talking about the little indicator in the taskbar). For me, it's a good way for me to tell whether I'm connected or not.

To remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:

If you have XP SP1 installed then you will get an error. Just Click okay and it will complete the uninstall. Once you restart windows messenger will be gone!

Mmmhhh, the whole point of uninstalling Windows Messenger manually escapes me, when it is so awfully easy to have the Windows CP allowing you to do it safely. Ever cared to go in Windows CP, Add/remove programs, then on the left side of the window on Windows Components and there unchek Messenger or whatever else you want to remove... ?

Now, don't get me wrong : I'm not naive up to the point of believing that you extract all and every Messenger's components, since it seems that Bill Gates' thugs are so keen about nosing all 'bout us chickens. But at least, by so doing, you'll get quietly on your business without unnecessary traffic associated with having Messenger awake, if passively, on your system ;) .

And YES!, there's no telling what you might wind up with when you put dirty, sticky fingers in the Registry, God Forbid! :)