xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jesse

Creating Custom Error Pages For My Domain

Hi, I am running my own Domain here on Trap 17. I am wanting to know how I go ago making Custom Error Pages. I know that there is a part in the Cpanel to do this, but that only allows text. I want to add in my site logo etc.Is there a way I can make the page through Frontpage? If so what do I name the page, for example on a 404 Error. And where would I upload that file to?Thanking you in advance for your help.

For sites hosted on the Linux cluster, you must create a .htaccess file and upload it to your www directory. You will also need to write the custom error pages and upload them to your site.
The .htaccess file is used to override a default setting within the configuration of Apache. The syntax for the .htaccess file is as follows:

ErrorDocument errorcode path-to-page

A working example:
ErrorDocument 404 /custom/404.php

Ok would that be the same with making a .html file ... so I would create a file and call it: .htaccess and put this in it:

ErrorDocument 404 /public_html/404.html

Then I create the Custom 404 Error page and upload that also to the public_html directory. Is that how it would work?

To recap, you make a error page called 404.htmlyou upload it to public_html directory you open .htaccess file and EDIT in this line-ErrorDocument 404 404.html (if you upload 404.html in another directory it will be ErrorDocument 404 /directory/404.html)I wanted to make it clear since I was bit confused with your first sentence. If I am mistaken there will be someone correcting my error(s).

i got a question:i got two domains hosted at Xisto (in the same account) but i want to make a custom error page for my other domain, but i can't T_T is this possible to make? i got parked my main domain and in 'add domain' the other i was thinking of making a 404.shtml page for my new domain and then put it in the folder but im wondering if that'll will work...

Hummm I'm not sure if that's possible. Since there is only one .htaccess file for the host (and not domain determined), both domains will use the same .htaccess file no matter what.That is something to search for on the internet.

Ok when I opened my .htaccess file in public_html there was nothing there with 404. So I am still unsure where to place this. I am sorry for asking again, but I just am unsure. With what I can see there is surpost to be already something in that file with at least 404 there and there is nothing. Help please.Thank you.

As far as I know, you have to add a new line in. So go down to your file and leave a space before you add the line.The reason it's not there is because when there's an error, your browser knows it as certain error code, i.e. 404, 403 etc, and calls the default error page from your local SYSTEM32 or SYSTEM folder. But by customizing .htaccess file you are redirecting which error file to display.