xisto Community
tdktank59

How We'll Get Back To The Moon in 2018

The moon is the closest abundant source of helium 3 that there is (helium 3 can potentially be used in a completely emissions-free fusion reactor).

Concerning comments about the moon taking less fuel for spacecraft launches than Earth, although this is true, that 1/6 of Earth's gravity is still a big waste of fuel. More likely is that all large spacecraft will eventually be built and operated only in space (passengers would be taken to the station using a method similar to those used by SpaceShipOne). There has been an idea to make a space station that is in geosynchronous orbit with the Earth and connects to the ground by a powerful cord on which an elevator of sorts would run, completely eliminating the needs for launch fuel.

I'm completely for the ideas of grounding the space shuttles; after 20 years, NASA should be able to come up with something a bit better. However, I'm not too anxious concerning their current replacement vehicle ideas; they appear to be small and almost a step backward.

I think that space colonization won't really boom until space tourism gets going (thanks to Virgin Galactic, as well as some small hotel company that wants the first space hotel station up and running by 2010).

201633[/snapback]

Cerebral dude.. I like how you reply to the posts in here, there's really a lot of meat into it just like this reply you gave, keep it up.