xisto Community
jlhaslip

Operating System Not Found Error Displayed On Start Up

operation system not foundOperating System Not Found

It just happened to me.I fixed it by doing the following:

Inserted a cd-r with the bootable free program"Super Grub Disk" burned onto it. It gives the option to boot into Windows manually. My desktop came up normal. I turned the laptop off and it booted up normal by itself. Why it happened in the first place I don't know. But at least I'm running normal again. 

-reply by mikey

operating system not found...I have the same problem.. I can go to bois and I reset it and nothing happens... I tried bootable win and dos disk but still I get the operating system not found message..I have the recovery disk but since it does not boot I can not do any thing... How can I go to dos prompt... To check the hard dish or run recovery disk my laptop is compaq 1700 presario with win 98se...

what happend I tried to load ubuntu in it  and I chosed one the options that format the whole hard drive then it took long time to load and I unpluged the laptop  and after that the problem started.. Anyone can help me please 

-question by shak

Creating a startup CD, not Floppy for laptopOperating System Not FoundI have a laptop, but when I try to install Windows XP from CD, it just sits there and nothing after the initial installation screen, seems the pc freezes up, is there some free programs I can download to a CD/DVD and then install on Laptop, Laptop had 320GB HD, 2GB ram,...HelpThanksTimP.S.I have read the responses above and tried most, but they do not work with my laptop.

I am seriously considering reformating my hard drive on my laptop. I have very little space left on it and want to start fresh. I have already done this with disc I recieved with the laptop but it really did not erase everything so I still have only a little space. I am going to actually erase everything. I have done a back-up on what I want to put back on it.I have come across a few people stating that after erasing their hard drive and putting XP running systems back on that they could not use their keyboard or mouse functions. I believe though this was on a desktop. Will this happen on a laptop? If it does, what do I need to do to get them to work again and continue installation?Any help would be very much appreciated before I do this.-question by Melody

operating system not foundOperating System Not Found

Operating system not found/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley6.Gif...I have the same problem.. I can not go to bios to reset it ... I tried bootable win But still I get the operating system not found message..I have theRecovery disk but since it does not boot I can not do any thing... HowCan I go to bios To check the hard disk?I have HP desktop.

-reply by Adam

operating system not foundOperating System Not Found

I have a hard drive with Win XP loaded. I can put the drive in one desktop and it works great. When I put in a different system I get operating system not found. Can anyone help me understand this issue.

-reply by Kerry Harmon

operating system not found error message quick fixOperating System Not Found

I had the same .Error..."operating system,,...Any key to try again"..+ heres how I easily repaired (altho I don't know why it happened or if it is fixed for good and not just now)...I have a compaq with windows me, and I had the same black screen message...I went to bios by pressing (F10 ) and holding it down. (after turning my computer off and then on again.).Upon rebooting, and found my boot order was set to cd drive (1) floppy (2) hard drive (3)..That sounded wrong, my compaqs cd drive and my dells too are both fried...Sooo...Solution...Drumrolls accepted here...I switched it to hard drive (1)...Left bios..It started...Worked... Oh yeah...Hope this helps someone...

-reply by brad wheelerKeywords: compaq operating system not found

Startup Repair ProblemOperating System Not Found

Once,my computer was down so I needed to use startup repair.The problem?It said in problem signature 06 that No OS was installed! Try using recovery manager to recover the Windows portion of your computer.

-reply by Ashton Snapp