xisto Community
jlhaslip

How To Access The Ftp On My Account It wont let me in to upload files

I've been to my cpanel and found the account name and the required user id's etc. It seems to recognize the username, but stalls on the password. I went so far as to add a new user account so that I knew what the password was, but it still won't let me in to uplaod. Are there any settings that should be altered anywhere? I haven't used the ftp on the account yet, so it should be in a "raw" state from the set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Hey jim!

Firstly, What program are you using to access your FTP?
Secondly, Go thorough this post to make sure that you are using the right settings.
Thirdly, there are some ISP who can block FTP, so you'll need to confirm it with your ISP.

And, to become sure that it is not the program which you are using which is at fault...please follow these steps.

1. Go to Web2Ftp
2. Put the server, username & password information.
3. try to login and if it works then there is most likely a problem with the program you are using or may be the ISP problem.

I think this web2ftp is a cool feature and you should try this because it allows you upload the zip file and they unzip it on the fly...so you can make you site as zip following the structure on the website and you'll be able to upload files as well!
I hope that you dont get confused with this last bit...if you do then dont worry about it....you'll understand it once you will use web2ftp!

It failed.

Failed login attempt: Failed login attempt on:    ftp@jlhaslip.trap17.com

username:    jim
The server name is not valid, the specified server is temporarily unreachable or rejects FTP connections.

Ihave tried several variations, but they all say the same thing. The variations are the list of accounts/users that show up in the ftp Manger over at my cpanel, so I don't know what else to try.

Thanks forlooking at this Mayank.

Failed login attempt:

Failed login attempt on:    jlhaslip.trap17.com

username:    jim

You could not be logged in! Either your user data are erroneous or you have no privileges to access this server!

Press the Back button and try again! Also, check the password!

Hey jim!

When I tried to login at my end with wrong username and password the message which i got...if you'll notice that the message you got is having "ftp@jlhaslip.trap17.com" but my one is having "jlhaslip.trap17.com" only....so may be you are putting this thing wrongly....try only putting in "jlhaslip.trap17.com" only in the server section...and make sure you are not using the SSL-Login

Try that may be if that helps you!

And becasue I had put in a wrong password I got that message so I think you problem is resolved and you must try to put the right information.

I'll second mayank's suggestion. Maybe it's the "ftp@" that's creating the problem. When I tried logging in with your username and an arbitrary password (really sorry about that, but I was certian it wouldn't work!), the error returned was "server replied: error 503 authentication failed", so it's unlikely that it's a server problem. Using only "jlhaslip.trap17.com" should help. Good luck ^_^

Well, that was just one of several attempts to log-in that failed. In the end, your suggestion was the one that worked, but I don't know why because I had tried it several times prior. And several other versions a bit different that failed as well, so I can't explain why it ended up working this time.* Wonderful * devices we play with...!

are you sure that you put ftp.jlhaslip.trap17.com thats how the ftp log on works because if you go to the ftp manager> ftp accounts a message says

Make sure that you connect to ftp.jlhaslip.trap17.com with your ftp client, or you may not be able to login.

QUOTE]

that should be and by the looks of it has worked.