xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kservice

In The Search For A Desktop Replacement

Hi there I'm in the search for a desktop replacement for some time now. I hope you could help me a bitI'm a web developer. SOmetimes I play games, but it's not too often. When I started my computing adventure, my CPU was AMD K6-2, accidentaly. But after 7 years I'm still with AMD, replacing the old system several times. Now, when I think about moving to a mobile device, I'm thinking about AMD too, because I like them. And I don't like Intel (same as Microsoft) anywayI won't travel with it too often.The primary role for this notebook is work. Actually I work most of my time. I play games ocassionally, so I think I don't need a cutting edge graphics, but I don't want a *BLEEP* graphics too. Now, I have ati 9500TYhis is the forum, when I first read about Sager. I see some stuff about upcoming Sager 9750 and it looks pretty interesting!I have around $2000 for the notebookSo, can you suggest anything?It's sad that there are not too many notebooks with AMD Turion....Guys in my company told me to never buy HP (they had a lot of troubles with them in the past)Oh, and my primary OS will be GNU/Linux. This time I will probably go with Ubuntu (now I'm working with Debian, but upgrade cycles are becoming annoying)Cheers! kservice

I believe you would agree to my view when I state that heat is the most common killer for CPU speed. No matter how fast the processor is, when it is heating up and there isn't an adequate cooling system it will slow down to protect itself. I mean they are all designed to do so. That's one of the reasons that my desktop restarted every 10 minutes during past hot summer. ^_^Problem with laptop is that due to its limited space the cooling system is minimized. This means after x number of hours of usage, it will slowdown. The manufactures of laptops knows this but still betting on the fact that the laptop will not be used consecutively for more than 4 hours at a time. Therefore, it may have all the specifications equal to a desktop but it sure will not perform like a desktop in longevity. Knowing and realizing the possible limitations of a laptop, I'd like you to consider following manufactures. Emachine. I know I think I heard a laugher there. My friend purchased Emachine AMD 64bit processor (3000+ I think) with 15.4 inch screen last year for under $1000. He spent an extra $150 to bring DDR to 1GB. With 80GB hard drive space he's been very happy for the past 1 year or so. I laughed too when he bought it. Now I?m thinking I missed out on a deal of a life time. So I went for shopping few months ago and found Toshiba Satellite A75-S209 for $800. Simply amazing! You have to see it but this is the only laptop that I saw with 2 ventilations and 1 gigantic copper fin visible for excellent cooling, and not to mention the brightness of the screen. It?s Intel 3.06 HT with 15.4 inch screen, 512 DDR with ATI 9500 shared memory (up to 64mb). I am in love with this laptop. By the way, Intel's HT technology almost out performs AMD 64bit, according to my own test with 100 times load and unloads of project under Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premier.So, my recommendation will be go take a look at a laptop from your local retail store. Look for what you would consider a good design. I rather pay extras for upgrades than the fastest CPU which would only to slow down due to accumulating heat.