xisto Community
switch

Graphics Software (legal And Free well Photoshop costs ~800

I agree with the earlier posts, get the GIMP. It's pretty much photoshop, just has a little steeper learning curve because the tools are all over the place. But other than that, anything you can do in photoshop, is almost always do-able in the GIMP. Or else, believe it or not, if you have windows, paint can do lots of things, just takes the most skill to make that piece of crap program to do much

Try PhotoPlus, GIMP, GIFFY... yeah. those'll get you started.

PhotoPlus works much like Photoshop and ImageReady, (but on a basic scale). It's really handy. It got me started when Photoshop didn't arrive in my mailbox yet =p

I'm definetly not the only one who is going to say this but Photoshop is the best. I use to use irfanview but then I got photoshop. You can do a lot with photoshop you just need to know how. I suggest going to a bookstore and getting a quick reader quide. I have one of those on web design. They are really helpful.

I would recommend the GIMP, Serif Photo Plus or Image Forge. These are among the best free graphics software available. If you can afford to spend some money or know of some "resources", Photoshop and Fireworks are also great. If not, go for oneof the three I mentioned above.

yeah i know how good photoshop is.... i've used it and it's brilliant. done some cool stuff with it.

and y'know, i really think most copies of photoshop out there are probably burnt.

thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'm gunna check out GIMP and see what i can do :lol:

and don't let me catch anyone dissing MSPaint ever again - Elftor vs Photoshop (Comic) haha so good. although i don't think the website is functioning correctly at the moment. take a look if it goes back up.

lol ok thanks heaps guys.

peace out ^_^

Some people have mentioned freeserifsoftware.com, which offers many good programs. If you go there, download PhotoPlus. It supports layers. A free program I adore is called Photofiltre: http://www.photofiltre.com/ . It offers an English version and has some plugins right there on the site. Plus a lot of plugins are compatible with it. I highly recommend it.

GIMP is the best free Photoshop like editor in the world. If you think its no good, then you are no good. Its not just user friendly but trust me.. almost every cool graphics in Linux Desktops you see, including great icons with alpha channels are done with GIMP. So use and discover before you say its no good. With GIMP Plugins it can work like photoshop and to sum it all, best things are free!

Why an earth is everyone either suggesting photoshop or paint shop pro...or even mentioning it? The dude already said it was expensive..
And like i said serif is good. I used the draw one as it came in a free cd from a computer mag and found it was really useful..a tiny bit like corel draw...obviously not as good but good enough. Oh and MS Paint can be good for some things as well. I use it A LOT and there might be some tutorials out there that most people didn't know how to before.. It still amazes me.but i guess it is a bit too basic.

All terragen is FREE and good for creating realistic, cool landscapes that CAN be used a texture. It's really good you should try it out. I think it's called terragen anyways.

OK, just a thought here-
since everyone keeps suggessting PS & stuff, and we need not to spend any $$ here...
What about using the trial version for a bit? Maybe while you save up? Almost every program for sale offers a trial version. Not a good fix for the long haul, unless maybe you could reinstall or something, that might be against the rules, Im not sure about all that, and of course some features may not be available - but for a free prog, GIMP is definitely the best available, also if you need a free 3d prog for anything you might want to check out blend... its also open source like gimp