xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mayank

Gmail Will Be Changed To Google Mail... ONLY IN UK

From October 19th, 2005 any person who signs up for the Gmail service they will have any email as username@googlemail.com and it is for only those people who live in THE UK. The reason for this is that another company in the UK has claimed the rights of the trademark of gmail as their own trade mark and google is trying their level best to make sure that there trademark stays with them....if they loose then it will be googlemail otherwise it will stay as GMAIL only.

For more information go on this LINK

As long as it doesn't affect you, it has no significance whatsoever, right?

Anyway, this has been up in the air for a while. If you remember from around the time Gmail first commenced, a company already operating from Gmail.co.uk filed a suit against them (or sought to take some other form of legal action against Google, I don't really remember).

I am just glad they are not changing are names we already have. It's kind of dumb. Oh well. Thanks for the info. I wish the company would at least compromise. Then it wouldn't effect so many people. Hey keep us updated Mayank if anything changes. Thanks again.

Bah... gmail.co.uk is just a little private mailing system, and google has to change names for it? x[Well that will make the "Google controls the World" stories a bit weaker *shrug*

At least the change is not affecting too many things ^_^ I mean, the address of the sign-in page is the same, and also,

...this change doesnt affect existing Gmail addresses.

meaning that people (in the UK) who already have a gmail address will not have to change it. I do hope they can get the gmail address back, because it's, well, snappier. There can't be too much to a name, though, and I think I have no problem typing out g o o g l e m a i l for an e-mail address! ^_^

Well, I mean, you can always get your US or Canadian or Australian friend or just a friend from somewhere else to sign up for you, and give you the password and account. However, I don't think Google would like that. (Maybe I should try to get my british friends to send me a googlemail invite... it doesn't hurt to get extra email accounts ^_^)

i already have a gmail accoutn in the uk, because i got it before they changed it my email is still *****@gmial.comhahahehehahahehei think it really smells that they have to change it an can any1 tell me who it is that has the rights to gmail that isnt google?thanks :lol:^_^