xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlhaslip

Just Beginning To Do Graphics And on a slow (old) machine

So does anybody have any suggestions about which software to start out with? I know that I won't be using the newest and best software, but what does anybody suggest using with a 233 Mhz Windows machine with 160 meg of ram?I'l just be preparing banners and titles for web pages, and won't be doing sigs, etc...

I would suggest getting Macromedia Fireworks. It's pretty basic and simple. Now if you really want to go basic, and understand Pixel Art, then use Paint, zoom in all the way, and make pixels until you have what you want when you zoom out. Most people use Adobe Photoshop, which is ironic because I'm about to install that like right now!But yeah Macromedia Fireworks or Adobe Photoshop...

graphics ?? you are asking the question that everybody knows how to answer ... of course it's adobe's photoshop ... it's a must for everyone doing graphic ... even a newbie ... get used to the photoshop even you are a newbie ... you will one day become professional and fully use the photoshop !

of course it's adobe's photoshop

PS can be a bit of a resource hog, especially newer versions, so I'm guessing that's why jlhaslip asked for other recommendations. If it's only for web graphics, my pick would be Fireworks too.

With 233mhz and 160megs of ram, i would suggest The GIMP, Macromedia Fireworks (versions below "MX"), Photoshop 6 or under, or PaintShopPro 7 or under. And if possible, get some more ram. Then you'd be ok.

I had the GIMP and it wouldn't work for my system.Don't know why. But as mentioned above, it was a resource hog and I couldn't get it to do much of anything, so that's out. Would PS 5.5 be okay on the 233 Mhz using 160 meg of ram? A friend recently upgraded to 7.0 and she will give me the 5.5 for free, so if it will work, should I take it?? And would Fireworks be less demanding of resources than PS 5.5?Thanks for everyone's opinions.

Hey Jim!
well as far as other people are suggesting you to have THE GIMP...is absolutly right choice because it's free but you already have mentioned that it is not working on your system. And with that configuration it will be very difficult for anyone to tell you any program which will do the favour.
I have searched for some small programs and there reviews are also good!

here are they :

ArtRange
Project Dogwaffle

The best thing is that both of these programs are freeware so go ahead and give a try!

Since you are a newbie I would also rsuggest GIMP, because it is free, simple to use and learn, and there are some useful filters to use. But if you got extra cash to spend I would definitely recommend Adobe Photoshop, you could try looking for the lower version because I am sure is is so much cheaper now than the Photoshop CS2 version. And check your local bookstores and second hand book shops to look for a Tutorial book about the version that you bought. Since most people have already upgraded to the latest version, they have already disposed off their lower version help books. And the unused books at the bookstore would probably have its price halved or even lower. good luck!

That's a REALLY old computer you have there. :) I'm not sure what to suggest since other have already posted it down (like GIMP or MM Fireworks)PhotoPlus is a good freebie if you're not willing to buy Adobe.Sorry I can't really help you out ;) I'm too used to the new machines and the latest software.